Where Does the Path Go?

This is the place for administrations, announcements, problems, fixes,hitches, glitches, stitches and unhitches. The Forum Suggestions box thread is open. Feel free to add some ideas for additions and changes, but don't use it for chat please.

What to do with 'The Path'

Poll ended at Sun May 10, 2020 8:26 am

Wait until it breaks, it has had a good run
21%
Knock it on the head, it has had a good run
No votes
Replace the forum with a new installation of phpBB (all history will be lost and everyone will have to re-register)
79%

Total votes: 14

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Re: Where Does the Path Go?

Postby GarryProcter » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:40 am

You wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would admit me lol

(With apologies to Mr Marx)

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:03 am

GarryProcter wrote:You wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would admit me lol

I was waiting for that one :text-hat-tip: .

Becoming a gentleman is something to learn and aspire to in these dire times :text-thesaint: there is plenty of useful advice on line but I fear this one would not survive the start of the fishing season.

Good Hygiene is a must
A true gent must have good hygiene – keep yourself smelling fresh and tip top at all times (the only exception is when you’re working out!). Moisturise your face daily to keep it smooth and If you’ve got facial hair, keep it well-groomed and presentable. Keeping a comb with you is always handy to ensure your tresses are looking good! Finally, a nice spritz of aftershave goes a long way and makes you smell all sophisticated!

Sorry I'm going all :text-hijack:

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 am

JAA wrote:
Mr Mole wrote:Having in mind a kind of on line Gentleman's club (all other sexes may apply). :text-hat-tip:

Anyone know any gentlemen? Anyone? :cheesy grin:

I know a few "gentles" men............. :get-coat:
Ring a ring a roses a pocketful of posies atishoo,atishoo we all fall down.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:47 am

GarryProcter wrote:You wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would admit me lol

*Goes off in a huff*

Mr Mole wrote:Becoming a gentleman is something to learn and aspire to in these dire times :text-thesaint: there is plenty of useful advice on line but I fear this one would not survive the start of the fishing season.

I read somewhere that a true gentleman uses the butter knife even if no-one is there.
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

watermole+
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby watermole+ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:18 pm

Is there not a saying..."Always engage brain before putting mouth (or typing finger in this case) into gear?"

There are gentlemen on here; most are just unaware of it. My own self-centred and pointless ramblings have made that clear to me and have edited post on this accordingly...

..and would happily go along with the majority decision on this and contribute if required.
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:24 pm

JAA wrote:I read somewhere that a true gentleman uses the butter knife even if no-one is there.

True story, my father always insisted on the fruit knives being laid at table, whether there was fruit or not. It became a bit of a family joke for long after he was gone, think I still have the set of knives somewhere.
So there :teasing-poke: .

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:02 pm

I'm sure, like many, I occasionally check in on this place only to see no new posts and leave again. However when something is posted on here (regardless of the subject - fishing or not) it is often of so much more worth than most on the inane stuff composed on the other sites I frequent. Perhaps other sites get more new threads created in a day, or more comments or views or whatever quantifiable measure you want to look at but if you asked me to compare the quality of the posts those on TPBTW would be looked on much more favorably than any.

As for the reason I don't post much myself - I work(ed) a 50+ hour week, leaving little time for fishing. But I do enjoy the posts of others and I read a lot even if I don't comment. I know I'm terrible and should make more of an effort to contribute! I will endeavour to do this should the forum not receive a swift smack to the back of the head with a priest. I assume that's how you dispatch of a website - I failed my ICT classes.

This place is more calming, slow and peaceful than any other. People are respectful here. Long may it continue.

Perhaps a paid subs system would be the way to go. This wouldn't be the first place to introduce it. And perhaps it would encourage active participation from it's members as well as alleviating any (whatever modest) financial burden the running of this wonderful place has on yourself, JAA.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:48 pm

maggotdrowner wrote:I'm sure, like many, I occasionally check in on this place only to see no new posts and leave again.

If everyone did that there would be no material ever. :text-tumbleweed:

Should, as the poll suggests, the 'Phoenix by the Water' arise from the ashes, rule one will probably be 'Post or you're toast'.

maggotdrowner wrote:However when something is posted on here (regardless of the subject - fishing or not) it is often of so much more worth than most on the inane stuff composed on the other sites I frequent.

Perhaps other sites get more new threads created in a day, or more comments or views or whatever quantifiable measure you want to look at but if you asked me to compare the quality of the posts those on TPBTW would be looked on much more favorably than any.

As for the reason I don't post much myself - I work(ed) a 50+ hour week, leaving little time for fishing. But I do enjoy the posts of others and I read a lot even if I don't comment. I know I'm terrible and should make more of an effort to contribute! I will endeavour to do this should the forum not receive a swift smack to the back of the head with a priest. I assume that's how you dispatch of a website - I failed my ICT classes.

This place is more calming, slow and peaceful than any other. People are respectful here. Long may it continue.

Perhaps a paid subs system would be the way to go. This wouldn't be the first place to introduce it. And perhaps it would encourage active participation from it's members as well as alleviating any (whatever modest) financial burden the running of this wonderful place has on yourself, JAA.

I've considered this and haven't ruled it out, although it would have to be a nominal sum, say £5 pa or so. The trouble with 'free' is that it is often not valued and subs are one option. It might be better to make the place more of a 'syndicate'. I'll ponder that. :text-hat-tip:

Like syndicates a commitment to work-party is often part of the deal, so I'm wondering if it might be appropriate to 'post once a month at least' as part of one's dues.

Having said that I don't really want it to be 'one post of a new float' followed by 37 posts saying 'nice float'... ;-)

Skipper

Postby Skipper » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 pm

Don't know what I can add that hasn't already been posted. As with all of us now my priorities are elsewhere but personally I would be sad to see the site fold. Have hardly been the most prolific of posters but I think in part that is a trait of mine with forums, in the past I have been a member 'over the road' as well as a stint on Fishing Magic, neither of which lasted long. Probulary too guilty of 'lurking' seeing no new posts and quickly logging out and to be honest it's a hard habit to break. Apologies to JAA, yes must try harder although I think I posted similar when there was a call to rally the troops last year! Hope you all stay safe and sound through the current crisis.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sat May 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Well the vote says: 'build it new and up to date' (I'm assuming all the non-voters don't care ;-) )

So I'll do this.

It'll happen quietly 'off to one side' until it is sorted out and I'll let you all know a few days in advance of the changeover. Everyone will have to re-register of course and I'm going to try importing the old database files, but I'm not optimistic...so now is a good time to copy anything you might want to keep.

I will duplicate the existing structure as far as I am able.

In case of 'accidents', email me on:

I'll keep you all posted. :text-hat-tip: :I am the Law:

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Sat May 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Best of luck JAA - thanks for all the hard work. :thumbs-up:

Rutilus

Postby Rutilus » Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 pm

Yes, JAA. I did not vote in the end but more than happy to go along with the majority. If needs be I'm more than happy to donate a bit as I did once before but as I read it you were more concerned with the sheer drudgery of handling the current incarnation and update stuff :agreed all:

Redfin
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Redfin » Sat May 16, 2020 9:44 pm

Yes good luck JAA. Be assured, everyone is very grateful for your hard work. :text-hat-tip:

satt2006
10 bob's worth
10 bob's worth

Postby satt2006 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks a lot in advance JAA!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun May 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Good luck with it, I don't understand any of that magic stuff with computers because :oldmanrant: .
Hope the changeover goes well and without too much :angry:

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks JAA its a :thumbs-up: from me. :text-hat-tip: to you.
Ring a ring a roses a pocketful of posies atishoo,atishoo we all fall down.

Return to “Admin stuff”