The Moult

...for general chat about angling things that are not actual fishing accounts. Those go in 'Fishing Lines'.
Grumpalump
must get out more
must get out more

The Moult

Postby Grumpalump » Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 pm

I haven't been out much lately, the local park is too full of huffing, puffing exercisers to feel safe, but in the last few days I've risen early and dusted the cobwebs off the walking poles, and the algae off the bike, and been for an explore, and the crows are definitely well on the moult - I think it's still just the young birds, for I haven't found any of the really big quills yet.
Time to restock, and make floats with last year's gatherings.
The downside is that the council are mowing like mad things, and I need to try and figure out their schedule...if they have anything like one.
I haven't been near a lake yet - a mild obsession with fountain pens seems to have ousted angling as my main fixation - I've no idea why - so could anyone please keep us all informed when the swans and canada geese start shedding floats? Cheers!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Re: The Moult

Postby Mr Mole » Fri May 29, 2020 10:59 am

Are you in need of quills then? I have a small handful of goose, swan and possibly a couple of crow quills I shall never use - been sat in a drawer for years. You are welcome to them if you like.

Our (domestic) geese in the field are not moulting yet.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sat May 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Our domestic geese have begun moulting today - walked down this afternoon to find feathers.

Grumpalump
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Grumpalump » Sun May 31, 2020 11:52 am

Many thanks, Mr Mole, for both the offer and the info! I have a fair old stash of feathers, thanks, so this year's gatherings probably wont be used this year. They seem to benefit from a spell drying out, or so I gather from those who cut quills to make pens.
My local goosery - if that's a word - is at the bottom of one side of one of North London's steep glacial mounds, and I am fairly well down the other; I think I might try to get the lower gears on my bike working again...float-making as a spur to exercise! (Don't hold your breath waiting for an update, though; I only broke the walking-poles out a fortnight ago, after a flabby winter followed by a blissfully lazy lockdown!).
I just hope can get there before the manic mowers!

Grumpalump
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Grumpalump » Sun May 31, 2020 11:57 am

Afterthought: Why on earth would you leave a couple of crowquills unused? They are just SO good for floats... Bewildered of Barnet.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun May 31, 2020 12:15 pm

Grumpalump wrote:Afterthought: Why on earth would you leave a couple of crowquills unused? They are just SO good for floats... Bewildered of Barnet.

They are spot-on, the wing primaries... :agreed all: :floating_away:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun May 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Grumpalump wrote:Afterthought: Why on earth would you leave a couple of crowquills unused? They are just SO good for floats... Bewildered of Barnet.

I do have quite a selection of my home made crow and other quill floats, unfortunately they rarely see the water, so I made a deal with myself not to make any more floats unless I need them for a specific purpose - to be used :floating_away:

I knocked up a few out of peacock quill this spring, peacock quill sliders and some other odd sorts that I invented for barbel fishing. Would be great to have the opportunity to try them :text-tumbleweed:

Return to “Out on the Path”