Anyone been out today? Part II...

"Post your fishing stories" and members' comments. Clean ones only. Erudition not required. Which is lucky.
JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone been out today? Part II...

Postby JAA » Sat May 16, 2020 8:04 pm

GarryProcter wrote:Well done everyone. JAA, I presume you didn't follow Mr Mole's example and eat that chub :cool:

No!!!!

(I have eaten a pike from here tho'...)
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun May 17, 2020 8:17 am

Walked down to the river early for a quick fish, had a lovely coloured brownie around 11/2lb, returned and then back for breakfast. A good start to the day but still a lot of day to go!

JAA, I see that you have been "messing about" with your Harrison Avon, those extra tips is quite a good idea. I'm saying that because I have the same rod and lots of assorted bits and tips - pretty sure I have a few whole harrosons fly rod tips as well, must check. But wondered what you used for cut down tip sections, I might give it a go.
Although I like the Avon rod (4 piece is very handy), the tip is nothing like as sensitive as the Harrison GTi that I usually use, maybe I should "mess about" with it as well :idea:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun May 17, 2020 8:51 am

Mr Mole wrote:Walked down to the river early for a quick fish, had a lovely coloured brownie around 11/2lb, returned and then back for breakfast. A good start to the day but still a lot of day to go!

A bit surpised the trout wasn't breakfast, with a few fried mushrooms... :cool:
Mr Mole wrote:JAA, I see that you have been "messing about" with your Harrison Avon, those extra tips is quite a good idea. I'm saying that because I have the same rod and lots of assorted bits and tips - pretty sure I have a few whole harrosons fly rod tips as well, must check. But wondered what you used for cut down tip sections, I might give it a go.
Although I like the Avon rod (4 piece is very handy), the tip is nothing like as sensitive as the Harrison GTi that I usually use, maybe I should "mess about" with it as well :idea:

I made one tip from a JWAvon 'combo' rod I found in one of they new fangled pawn shops, 'Cash Robbers' or 'Loan Sharks'r'Us' or something, really just for tiddler snatching, and the latest one from a rather better rod.

The tricky bits are cutting the 'new tip down to exactly the right fit (it really is best to proceed about a quarter inch at a time) and then to ensure a fit on the exsting spigot...which of course you may not change...

I've got a pile of off-cuts and bits and bobs (an old roach-pole top three, found rod sections and so on), and I use a micrometer to find something with the same taper of the existing spigot and then make a cutting tool by glueing a 5mm strip of P400 grit around the offcut. You need to use this with care and cut a little, clean out the 'female' end with wet kitchen towel or similar and then try the fit and so on.

I admit I did look at the 'solid' spliced tip for my GTI and think it would fit nicely on the 4 Piece Avon... :text-tumbleweed:

[In case anyone think all this stuff alway works, I've recently completely broken up three such experiments that didn't work at all and at least two others in the past became 'raw materials for the next crazy idea'. :boxoffrogs: :boxoffrogs: ]

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue May 26, 2020 7:44 pm

Guess who went fishing today? :test-smileyfishing:

First time this year up top end of reservoir, involved 18 mile round trip on the pushbike carrying my gear and a walk but worth it.

Worth it to hear the raven sitting on a dead tree branch (quite a long way off) croacking at me for over an hour every time I moved. Also the cuckoo who had an faint echo far off the other side, but was determined to have the last word, was quite hilarious after a while and I think it only gave up when it's voice went :cheesy grin:

Fresh trout for tea and damn god they were too.
trout for tea.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Thu May 28, 2020 11:44 am

Nice trout, Mr Mole.

I went out yesterday to visit a new acquisition of my club. Turned out to be a lovely little pool. I hared rumours of crucians, which I was hoping for really. But, as in all my fishing, I'm happy to catch anything.

:carassius  carassius:

However, I think I lost a crucian on my first bite. Something gold and round was on for a little while, but fell off the hook. I then had to switch to putting the bulk of the shot towards the bottom of the line because the wind got up. I don't like doing this, especial if trying to catch crucians. Obviously this means lift bites. And when the next bite was happening I was so dumbfounded by the lifting motion I hit it far too late! banghead.gif

In the evening the wind dropped again and so I shot the float normally again. The swim as alive with pinprick bubbles. The shallow water was fizzing away like the cliched cauldron. You could see the movement of the feeding fish by following the bubbles! I landed the fish which gave the bite. But it was a king carp! Not the crucian I really wanted, but a lovely common in fine condition. He put a nice bend in the Floatcaster and made my day anyway.

I was amazed to find I had the lake to myself all day. Perfect!

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Sat May 30, 2020 10:53 am

Out again yesterday, chasing crucians. They hid well and avoided me all afetrnoon and evening. I did have some lovely tench though and enjoyed the sunshine by another lovely pool. Lots of foxgloves on the banks of this one.

If anyone knows of a good, day ticket crucian waters in Cheshire or even in the surrounding counties I'd be interested to hear about it. I am planning one of my regular trips down to Warwickshire for crucians later in the year but I feel it's still too soon with the nasty things goings on in recent months to make that trip yet.

Where are you :carassius  carassius: ???

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun May 31, 2020 1:06 pm

maggotdrowner wrote:Out again yesterday, chasing crucians. They hid well and avoided me all afetrnoon and evening. I did have some lovely tench though and enjoyed the sunshine by another lovely pool. Lots of foxgloves on the banks of this one.

That's a fine looking pools MD. :text-hat-tip:

maggotdrowner wrote:If anyone knows of a good, day ticket crucian waters in Cheshire or even in the surrounding counties I'd be interested to hear about it. I am planning one of my regular trips down to Warwickshire for crucians later in the year but I feel it's still too soon with the nasty things goings on in recent months to make that trip yet.

Where are you :carassius  carassius: ???

Take a look here:

http://crucians.org/html/crucian_fisheries.php

:carassius  carassius: :carassius  carassius:

I fished at the Wetland last Friday and it was blistering hot, but I nipped out a couple of small tench and some (very very gold) rudd. I fear that these little pools will go from 'too cold' to 'too hot' without the usual comforartable fishing month between... :greedyfish: I'll have another go one evening this week.

This odd panorama is from between ponds '3' and '4'

This odd panorama is from between ponds '4' and '5'

Leigh
Very nearly a member now ;-)
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby Leigh » Sun May 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Driving through Wimborne and Ringwood earlier the rivers looked so appealing, not long to go for those venturing out on the 16th.

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Sun May 31, 2020 8:22 pm

Thanks JAA. I have used that crucian website in the past. I am a member of Lymm and some of the ones that site mentions I have fished and have photographed above.

Looks like you have some lovely lakes there too!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun May 31, 2020 9:18 pm

Golden rudd take some beating, they are in one of our lakes (but seem fewer each year, probably breeding out) mixed with ordinary rudd (which are beautiful too), even when looking at a shoal on the surface the golden ones stand out from the others.

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:45 am

I used to catch golden rudd on a slow stretch above a mill on the river Parrett in somerset.I went back twenty years later to see if they had still bred and was delighted to find that they had and were still numerous.
Ring a ring a roses a pocketful of posies atishoo,atishoo we all fall down.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pm

Question for someone clever, how did they become golden? Was it for ornamental ponds?

Return to “Fishing Lines”