Anyone been out today? Part II...

"Post your fishing stories" and members' comments. Clean ones only. Erudition not required. Which is lucky.
Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Re: Anyone been out today? Part II...

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:45 am

Saturday was atrip back to my local ticket lakes, all I can do until our lockdown travelling is eased. Again I went on the tench lake (to myself) but this time had some home bred maggots to use, produced in secret down my shed last week, a great success until the "Great Escape" one night :text-scary: .

Again the owner gave me a keepnet to fill with roach and rudd under 1/2lb and I did just that, they just kept coming till I was exhausted by lunchtime and had a little go on the tench before going back on the smaller stuff. End of the day I had a netfull plus 3 decent tench, some tidy roach to 3/4lb and two very baby :carassius  carassius: which were perfect in every respect, the largest maybe 4oz. A good sign as the original stock have not shown since last year and he was concerned they were still about, they have obviously bred so there is hope for the pond if he can reduce numbers of everything else. Baits were maggots, wheat and bread through the day.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Back to the lake this morning for a couple of hours trying out Spam for the tench. Only roach came my way but they were good ones including this beauty of 1lb 10oz. Garry, was that your car parked under the trees?

P1120649.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Indeed it was my car, Weyfarer. Sorry I missed you. I only spotted yours on the way out of the car park. That's a fine roach, well done! My first cast was at 4:45 am, last casts started at about noon. I had a lot of fish, may small carp up to about 4 lbs, a good number of nice roach from about 8 oz up to 'well over a pound' (I managed to drop that one back in the lake before I could weigh it...), and at least a dozen tench from about 2 lbs to 4:03, all green ones except for this male (3:03):
Golden Tench 3-03.jpg

It looked huge in the water and as it's my first ever golden tench, I had to weigh it on two sets of scales to convince myself it weighed so little :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:08 pm

That's a lot of tench! Clearly a dawn raid works but can I muster myself to do likewise?

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:17 am

It was a very busy session, Weyfarer. Actually it got busier as the morning progressed. I don't know if a dawn start is necessary, I just like being out at dawn (and dusk). And obviously I got lucky yesterday. They were still feeding when I left - my last three casts produced proper bites, a nice roach, yet another small carp, and a tench of a couple of pounds. By noon it was hot in my swim, and to be honest I had caught quite enough fish. Thank goodness every session isn't like this one!

I'm wondering about an all-night session in this hot weather, but a family FaceTime has just been arranged for 'later in the week' so I'll probably not get a chance.

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Lovely fish and a lovely venue.

It's a bit early for river roach but I need to get my eye in as well as keep figuring out video techniques. My attempts at sound were a failure yesterday but I'm learning!

I had a couple of hours on the lower Stour yesterday using tares under a stick float. Bites were spasmodic and mostly resulted in small roach, dace and chublets but I had one decent roach over a pound that buried itself in bankside weed before being persuaded back out again. This is a frame from the video.

MVI_4441_02529.JPG

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:55 am

GarryProcter wrote:It was a very busy session, Weyfarer. Actually it got busier as the morning progressed. I don't know if a dawn start is necessary, I just like being out at dawn (and dusk). And obviously I got lucky yesterday. They were still feeding when I left - my last three casts produced proper bites, a nice roach, yet another small carp, and a tench of a couple of pounds. By noon it was hot in my swim, and to be honest I had caught quite enough fish. Thank goodness every session isn't like this one!

I'm wondering about an all-night session in this hot weather, but a family FaceTime has just been arranged for 'later in the week' so I'll probably not get a chance.

That is a very fine bag of tench. :tincatinca: :text-hat-tip:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am

There are few of these to the pound...
...slightly less than half of one, in fact. :cool: :text-fishing:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Well done guys. You can't beat a good roach even if its not winter but your riddle, JAA, indicates this is not any old roach.

I arose early(ish) this morning. My kit was already in my car and I was at the lake 15 minutes later. For obvious reasons I chose the bank offering most shade.
P1120651.jpg

I had a choice of baits: cubed Spam, garden peas (new trial bait), chick peas, and drilled hard pellets. First cast over a scattering of some of the above baits, I had a scorching run on the float that took me under bankside branches, trailing brambles and lily pads. A lovely tench of a couple of pounds.
P1120652.jpg

I then had about a dozen reasonable roach on meat and chick peas but garden peas were a non-event. I then had the run around from a feisty common. Only a couple of pounds but it was scaled perfection.
P1120653.jpg

Next up between roach was an unexpected crucian of 2lbs followed 15 minutes later by another of 2lb 2 oz.
P1120655.jpg

More roach this time on drilled hair rigged pellet including a rather tatty one of 1lb 4oz. Another tench of 3lbs followed, and finally a fabulous golden tench of 3lb 4 oz. The sunshine began to fall on the swim, bubbling ceased and I packed up for an early lunch. Best day's sport for quite a while.
P1120671.jpg

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:00 pm

Cracking roach, if my maths is right :text-hat-tip: , will you tell us how you came by it?

Weyfarer, I remember back in the day carp fishing (early 70s?) and I used to do well with broad beans which carp seemed to love, I also tried peas then (probably tined ones for convenience) but I never did much good on them at all. I still think they ought to catch fish well, especially roach, perhaps you should take the trial further?

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:25 pm

Well done indeed, Weyfarer and JAA. Good to see some crucians making an appearance Weyfarer. And that is a magnificent roach, JAA. :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: to both of you!

I seem to recall a lot of people have tried peas, with little success. If I remember correctly even Rod Hutchinson didn't catch much with them. I always found their lack of effectiveness odd, given that fish will eat most particles. Maybe you should try them again Weyfarer, but this time use mushy peas as ground bait lol

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:21 pm

Hmmm, the mushy pea boilie, could be onto something there :Beammeup:

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 pm

This afternoon, two hours on Stour. Photos upstream and down of my swim. Pound chub first trot. Lost big chub next trot. Third trot chub of 4llb 3oz. Best photo I could get as the swim was cramped, stingy, brambly, blackthorny and awkward. It's the swim where I had the biggies in the winter. A few trots later I had one of 3lb. Second swim I tried I got pound chub and nice roach.

P1120685.jpg
P1120686.jpg
P1120687.jpg

Santiago
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Santiago » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 pm

IMG_20200630_205533.jpg

Went out on the punt last night for a couple of hours to practice my fly casting, and second cast I managed to hook into a pike and land it, my first on the fly.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Well done, not the squirrel tail fly then? Presume it was one of your home made.

Santiago
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Santiago » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Nah, it was one that a friend made for me

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:56 am

I await the picture of the dead squirrel with pike attached :greedyfish:

Santiago
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Santiago » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:14 pm

Managed to catch another three pike on the fly. Between us, me and my friend Nick, we caught five. Great trip. This is the biggest at 13lb.
IMG_20200703_154639.jpg

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 pm

I would happily settle for that on the fly, good session.

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pm

Another dawn raid (as a friend put it) on my local lake this morning - first cast at 4:40 am. Thankfully it was less hectic than last time - a steady stream of roach up to just over a pound, five or six tench (all green ones) up to just under 3 lbs, and numerous small carp up to three pounds. I even managed to avoid the rudd, and the rain, the latter arrived later this afternoon. Good to meet you again Weyfarer, I hope you succeeded and didn't get too wet.

Return to “Fishing Lines”