Anyone been out today? Part II...

"Post your fishing stories" and members' comments. Clean ones only. Erudition not required. Which is lucky.
JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone been out today? Part II...

Postby JAA » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Because the forerunner to this sub-forum was one of the most used and populous threads I'm creating a new one to avoid the 'too many posts in one thread' thingy. :geek:

The forerunner is locked, set to 'sticky' and renamed "Anyone been out today? (2011-2016)".

Otherwise, as you were. [text: I am the Law]
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Ruxley99
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Re: Anyone been out today? Part II...

Postby Ruxley99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:46 am

Great to see Path ('Return of the Beast') back.

Attached just caught from lily bed. Yes, it is a carp (...sadly...) but it is a bit prettier than many?

The fishery concerned is an oddity; it is half a mile long but only 20 yds wide and was once a river. Today is is sealed off from the main river itself and completely unfishable on one entire bank, which is wholly given over to Norfolk-reed housing cuckoos, hobbys (is the plural of hobby hobbies? Bet Simon Quinlanc would know!), every warbler known to Bill Oddie and butterflies galore...

Tight lines to every Path-er at this beautiful time of the year.

head_right_(edited)_s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Returned this afternoon from a couple of days away fishing ( living in Gertie the campervan, wife in Costa Rica chasing sloths and moths) to find we are back online, up and running :text-hat-tip: the highlight of my trip. Sitting beside a lake being blasted by a November wind through 5 layers of clothing took the edge off my pleasure.
Great to back and welcome all, I shall report more when sober :__]:

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:23 pm

I finally got to fish with Likely lad John Essex on the tidal Stour yesterday. After a cold night it was slow going but we both enjoyed it, catching a mix of roach, dace, chublets, bleak and silver bream (my first since 2015) on a stick float. By 11am it was hot, we packed up at noon and it was raining hard by the time I got home.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:38 pm

I fished Packhorse yesterday, essentially walking a worm for perch. Didn't get a bump, not even a little one. I did nab two decent roach on lobs on a red-flashed size 6, fished a foot off the bottom for a last light perch. One was more of a broach, but the other looked a good 'un, as far as they ever are here (as Daceace knows).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lastlight
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby lastlight » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Beautiful evening here in wildest Warwickshire, quite cool and the fish didn't want to play, but you don't always need to catch when you can enjoy sunsets like this.
path 2.jpg

BRPS

Postby BRPS » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 am

Great to see the forum back .

Spent a most restful and enjoyable day fishing a Hampshire pond on Friday . My target fish were Crucians but sadly they were notable only for their absence . However , I was kept occupied by some nice Perch and a lovely Tench ..

Now the leaves are falling I'll turn my attention to the rivers in search of Roach , Dace and Grayling ..

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 am

Just got back from a subdued Romsey Tackle show though nice to say hello to a few familiar faces. Counting down the days to the end of the roach/tare fishing season but if it stays warm they'll take it for another two or three weeks, exceptionally into November, then it'll be time for some different fishing mainly around bread and maggots for roach, dace and grayling, possibly chub and perch. Had a pleasant three hours on the lower Stour yesterday with tares for around 50 fish, mostly dace a fair few roach and a bonus 3lb chub with the river starting to show its 'bones' as the weed rapidly disappears (contrary to popular belief it's been dead since August and just needs time to rot rather than being affected by frost). The flow wasn't too bad.

Moley
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Moley » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 am

The Mole, for it is he, has been messing about with lure fishing and generally annoying the serious types, you know the Neanderthal Dwellus Bivvyius, usually found permanently ensconced gravel pits in this part of the country.......otherwise known as CockWombles ;-)

Lots of these have come to see Fatty:

DSCN0571.JPG

DSCN0503.JPG

The first was just seven pound four ounces, the second is a lake record of 17lb and a tad.

With some rather odd results as well:

DSCN0569.JPG

DSCN0557.JPG

They both took lures, Gulp Day-Glo Worms and are from different lakes. The top one was a porky one of 10lb 12oz. The bottom one weighed 26lb exactly and is another lake record....... :text-hat-tip:

It would seem despite Matron :text-scary: and Clive :text gallows pole: being impediments to good fishing you just can't keep a Mole down :text-molepower:

As ever,.......

Moley

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Spent yesterday fishing the Avon at Winkton along with sixty other anglers spread through the Royalty, The Severals and Winkton, participating in the Avon Roach Project annual fund raiser. River was well down and the fishing was dire, best three fish were two sizeable dace and a six ounce roach - that's not my catch its the combined 60 rods. Anywaysup, excellent diner followed by auction of fishing paraphernalia which raised over £4000.

http://avonroachproject.blogspot.co.uk/

P1100948.JPG

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:55 pm

I had a cracking day at Edmonsham on Thursday last and nabbed three decent carp, all on bread from the near margin.

Moley
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Moley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Who does that Fat Slob think he is, coming down here and catching our fish?

Why's he always eating Pork Pies whilst slurping tea, singing loudly and very badly.......?

Calls himself Moley.....what sort of stooped name is that?

How long did it take him to catch that fish?

Fifteen minutes and now he's packed up and off 'ome, just who does he think he is?

DSCN0457.JPG

The Fat Mole strikes again :text-hat-tip:

As ever,.......

Moley :text-molepower:

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 pm

A nice quickie Moley - I'd be so lucky. I presume you were actually perch fishing with one of your strange lure thingies? :cool:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Nice long lean carp that :text-molepower: . :text-hat-tip:

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Local lake. Long half day session. No fish. Even the pair of kingfishers were hunkered down.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:58 am

Weyfarer wrote:Local lake. Long half day session. No fish. Even the pair of kingfishers were hunkered down.

You do go on a bit... lol

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:27 pm

JAA wrote:
Weyfarer wrote:Local lake. Long half day session. No fish. Even the pair of kingfishers were hunkered down.

You do go on a bit... lol

I returned to the same swim this evening. Nice roach first cast just as it got dark. Float difficult to see so cracked open a glow light that didn't glow - neither did the next one. Then the midges surged around me driving me to distraction until I fled the fishery. Bum

I did see a barn owl though.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 pm

Back this morning to the midge swim and had a few roach.

P1100965.jpg

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Returned from my annual (as in first time was last year) zander trip, in the pond on the forum header photo.
I know nothing about zander fishing, don't even like the toothy brutes but intrigued to know what is in there, as nobody else seems to know about them or even where they came from.

Suffice to say, I caught 12 of them - fantastic. Not so good was 10 out of 12 were 1-11/2lb and not requiring a net, using the old glass mk4 and a s/u mk4 rods with suitable reels. Other 2 fish were 3 and 6lb, last year I had an 11lb+, hence the interest!

The trouble with using deadbaits are carp, wherever I go I catch carp on deadbaits (so not that surprised by the other Moles catches on lures), I've never even managed a perch on deadbaits, carp destroy everything banghead.gif .
A 4inch roach, wire trace, popped up off the bottom with foam and two small trebles attached, surely a tackle shy carp won't go for that - oh yeas they will :greedyfish: and it's mate, hooked well down. Back to the old days of BB, carp fishing with a wire trace and treble hook, where's my gaff..........

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:22 pm

Mr Mole wrote:The trouble with using deadbaits are carp, wherever I go I catch carp on deadbaits (so not that surprised by the other Moles catches on lures), I've never even managed a perch on deadbaits, carp destroy everything banghead.gif .

Nice bad of zander, I've never caught one...I have caught carp on whole sprats. I had access to a pond with only carp so took a few down one day to prove the point.

Return to “Fishing Lines”