Anyone been out today? Part II...

"Post your fishing stories" and members' comments. Clean ones only. Erudition not required. Which is lucky.
Trailblazer
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Re: Anyone been out today? Part II...

Postby Trailblazer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 pm

I had the later half of the afternoon and into darkness on a still water today, as yet again the rivers local to me arn't fishable with the float.
When I got to the water the sun was shining intermitently between the passing clouds, the wind was quite strong and had a nasty bite to it. On one pool the anglers where all sat with their backs to the wind and their brollies keeping the wind from giving them a chill ! I had planned on fishing into the wind on this pool but decided to fish the opposite pool and with the wind on my back as I think i'd rather of blanked than suffer that horrible wind blowing into my face. Anyhow, I was lucky enough to catch a variety of fish, perch, gudgeon, crucian carp, mirror carp and common carp, oh, and some chub!!
A couple of pic's...

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Nice fish, Trailblazer. I too would have fished facing the same way.

This is the time of year I usually start fishing the rivers more. But they have been a total washout for ages. I fear this is a glimpse into the future and is how things will be in the winters now with climate change.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:27 am

maggotdrowner wrote:Nice fish, Trailblazer. I too would have fished facing the same way.

This is the time of year I usually start fishing the rivers more. But they have been a total washout for ages. I fear this is a glimpse into the future and is how things will be in the winters now with climate change.

Winter I'd tend to fish with wind on my back. But I'll generally check the air temperature and see if the wind is warming the water or cooling it and then fish at the warm end...and if the windward end is warmer, I generally fish it.
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:37 am

MD, I have no idea if global warming/climate change is really happening, wether mankind is causing it, or if it's a natural occurance but this has happened at various times of year all my angling life, just another frustrating thing we have to cope with banghead.gif . Today is glorious and if the river has dropped enough which it may well have done I might get to wet a line later this avvey :).

JAA, funny I was having a conversation with a friend a couple of weeks about this subject and he was of the mindset to fish into a warm wind and with your back to a cold one. To be honest I try to fish into either depending on tye strength of the wind and size of the water....if it's to strong and cold I prefer to sit infront of the fire :cool: .
I'm really not used to all this sitting about and find myself furiously tying riggs and often stand up with my rod in hand :text-fishing: and even hold the rod most of the time when sat down :text-gonefishing: ..

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Well, I got out on the river as i'd planned, there was an alkward downstream wind, and the same as yesterday when I fished the still water the wind had a cold bite to it, a little sign that winter is well on it's way!
After catching dace and chub quite consistantly for about an hour the bright sun wast extinguished so I turned my head round to see the cause and saw a huge banking of "unpredicted by the weathermen" bruised coloured clouds approaching! I was pretty sure from the looks of them they were going to bring rain so I grabbed my maggot bucket and landing net and made my way back to my motor on the double. I was lucky as it only started to spit as I got back to the car but 5 min's later and the heavens opened up!
Anyhow, during the hour I had trotting I had decent results catching chub and dace with some large dace amongst them. Heres a few I held in the net after about 15 mins of fishing, check out the pidgeon chested dace between the other dace...

Last edited by Trailblazer on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:43 pm

I agree with Trailblazer in that floods are just part of fishing and droughts and floods have been around as long as I've fished. When I first fished in the 70s we had crazy droughts/heatwaves followed by extraordinary floods, both far worse than anything in recent years. I went past the lane that leads to the upper Stour on Tuesday where the electronic sign warned of flooding on the road as the river - averaging 15 yards across at this point - was 8'8" above normal but it's been as high as 14ft up in the past.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:32 pm

I finnished up buying one of the browning sphere 13ft 6inch spliced tip rods and it was delivered today. Anyhow, off I went to try and christen it :text-gonefishing: .
Thrid trott through in my first swim and the rod was christened with a chub....

I had notjing more in that swim after about ten minuites trotting and so moved off to another swim downstream. It's a long trott in this swim, about 70yds or more if I have good visibilty and i'd been running the float through that swim for about fifteen minuites before the float buried about 40yds down. I knew right away this was a barbel and the fish most certainely tested the rods metal before I slid it over the net....

Ten more minuites in that swim produced nothing and I continued walking downstream and dropped into a number of swims as I did so. I caught a single chub out of most before the sun was setting and it wa time to make my way back to the car....

One thing I did notice was the rod had no hook keeper so I made my own, it was great :)....

Last edited by Trailblazer on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Hook keeper? Isn’t that what the butt ring is for?

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 pm

I do use the leg on the bottom guides on some of my rods as a hook keeper but the guides on this rod are black and I don't want to mark them so i'll most likely invest in a fuji removeable hook keeper. A friend of mine uses these fuji hook keepers and he likes them so if they're good enough for him, they'll do for me :).

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:31 am

Trailblazer wrote:I do use the leg on the bottom guides on some of my rods as a hook keeper but the guides on this rod are black and I don't want to mark them so i'll most likely invest in a fuji removeable hook keeper. A friend of mine uses these fuji hook keepers and he likes them so if they're good enough for him, they'll do for me :).

I usually whip on a small 'snake' eye just above the handle to use as a hook-keeper. It's much easier to use than the silly ones that are sold as 'keepers'.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Had from 2.15 to 4.15 this avvey trotting for chub and had a great little session. I roaved a stretch of about a mile dropping in any likely looking swims. Some swims only produced one fish while others produced four or five. I could have stayed until dark but the rain was moving in and I did the right thing packing in and going home when I did.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:45 am

We had an afternoon at a club pool, arrived and the water looked like a herd of hippos had been frolicking in it, disgusting brown colour and some duck weed floating about. Never seen it like that before and initially thought it was major run off water from the fields, but it wasn't, I eventually concluded it was probably a brown algae bloom. Like soup with no visibility in the water and thoroughly uninviting.
I set up a float and maggots to catch some small stuff and had a livebait rod ready (never used livebait there before), but couldn't catch anything for hours. Eventually had a skimmer bream and this little carp thingy. Wishful thinking on my part to believe it a crucian, but sort of like one (no whiskers either)?
IMG_4610 (Medium).JPG

Bunged a half roach deadbait out (brought a few from freezer, in case) and had a single take that resulted in this small zander, and rare photo of me, as wife was there to operate camera :cool:

IMG_4613 (Medium).JPG

That was about it, relaxed night in the camper van, a blank hour fishing deadbait in the morning and off to Bromyard to pick up another garden sculpture. Putting my foot down now, we have enough of them!

River coming good for levels and today facing 24 hours heavy rain through Wales, I am fed up with not getting out on the rivers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:08 am

Good to see plenty of fish coming out to those who venture forth.

All the indicators pointed to the Avon being well worth a visit and so it was that I headed eastwards to Downton. The long walk (I'm feeling my age these days) to the wooded section was pleasant but I was surprised by the lack of anglers' reports in the log book. No sooner had I tackled up when a light drizzle began. The forecast wasn't too bad with a band of rain passing through but alas the rain got heavier and persisted until 2.30. However, the river look in perfect trim, really very good indeed.
DSC04278.jpg

I tried several swims above and just below the woods and soon had three chub on trotted flake, each about two pounds, and a nice bream worth weighing of 4lb 12oz. By now I was drenched but my jacket is a good one and wearing waders was a wise move. I moved under the trees but other than a big brownie that leapt clear of the water and then threw the hook after a sizzling run, I had no more.
DSC04279.jpg

Still with rain lashing down I tried a couple of spots downstream towards the island but the sedges and reeds prevented safe access to much of the river. At least the rain eased off and by 3.00pm the sun shone but no more fish came my way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moley
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Moley » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Nice river bream nearly 8lb on the stick.

DSCN0870.JPG

This fish put up a fight better than most chub and was the cause of much tea slurping and pie scoffing followed by a lie down after its release.

More varieties of fish fall to Mole stick and wag efforts than any other :text-hat-tip:

As ever,.........

Moley :text-molepower:

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Well angled, so many fishermen do not give river bream sufficient praise. Looks like the BW behind you Moley.

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:02 am

Well done Moley, nice fish.

I braved the wind and rain on Friday, fished my local lake, after roach. They didn't really start feeding well until very late afternoon, I stayed into dark and caught quite a few, mostly 8 oz to 1 lb, with three or four a few ounces over a pound. Last fish was a small mirror, which I took as a sign to stop :cool: Earlier in the afternoon I was also given the run around by this fellow:
2019 Oct 25 Tench 3-05.jpg

A male tench weighing in at 3 lb 5 oz, though he looked heavier than that!

Moley
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Moley » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Weyfarer wrote:Well angled, so many fishermen do not give river bream sufficient praise. Looks like the BW behind you Moley.

Thanks Weyfarer and yes it is the BW......it is quite a hard river sometimes as it is overfished. However, Fatty has to show the whippersanppers how to fish, in between scoffing pies and slurping tea, that is :porkie: :text cuppa:

GarryProcter wrote:Well done Moley, nice fish.

I braved the wind and rain on Friday, fished my local lake, after roach. They didn't really start feeding well until very late afternoon, I stayed into dark and caught quite a few, mostly 8 oz to 1 lb, with three or four a few ounces over a pound. Last fish was a small mirror, which I took as a sign to stop :cool: Earlier in the afternoon I was also given the run around by this fellow:
2019 Oct 25 Tench 3-05.jpg

A male tench weighing in at 3 lb 5 oz, though he looked heavier than that!

Blimey Garry, catching fish.....who would believe it?

Surely this sort of carry on is the thin end of the wedge as far as your spouse is concerned but even luckier for you Matron :text-scary: has not spotted you from her Storch Spotter Plane yet!!!! lol

Keep it up Garry for its a brave new world out there :oldmanrant:

You'll be telling us all next that you know Chris Yates <'><

As ever,.....

Moley :text-molepower:

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Chris who??

Indeed I have been lucky in avoiding Matron's aerial surveillance - so far :text-scary:

Rather worryingly, Mrs GP has been encouraging me to go fishing recently - is she trying to tell me something? :cool: My suspicion is that she knows when Matron's plane is in the air and sends me out at the appropriate time :cool:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:22 pm

GarryProcter wrote:Chris who??

If I write a fishing book, that's what I'm calling it.

Got out Sunday and drowned a few worms and managed one fat striped one and a carp nobbled out the lilies as the light went. A fine days dangling.

:perca fluviatilis: :perca fluviatilis: :perca fluviatilis: :text-hat-tip:

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:25 pm

My nearest commercial is undergoing maintenance and consequently a foot down which makes it very shallow but it's a challenging water holding good roach so I braved the early frost and cold wind for a short session when it had warmed up a bit yesterday. It was slow to start but eventually I had a couple of little roach followed by a couple of decent roach x bream and a brace of pound skimmers with more roach, though no big ones. I fish fine - a single maggot on a 22 to 0.08 and 1.5 lb mainline so when I hooked a carp it was a case of patience but after 10 minutes I got it out, an immaculate common of 8-8. That killed the swim but worth the trip.

Return to “Fishing Lines”