Anyone been out today? Part II...

"Post your fishing stories" and members' comments. Clean ones only. Erudition not required. Which is lucky.
Trailblazer
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Re: Anyone been out today? Part II...

Postby Trailblazer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 pm

With no rain forecast for today and the river having dropped off just enough to trott a float I decided to get out for the last couple of hours and fish an incoming tide. The wind was a horriblly cold downstream one which made me happy that i'd put a hooded top on, rather than my usual t shirt.
With the river still being well up above my comfortable trotting levels conditions went worse with the incoming tide pushing everything back. I really had to work hard to keep the float and tackle fishing !
Anyhow, my first fish was a nice little barbel, followed by a few chub. Things went quiet and I moved off roving likely looking spots. I had a few small'ish chub in most swims and I think I finnished up with about 15 chub alltogether, no monsters but they all pulled back :).
A few pic's from the session....

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:16 pm

Out trotting for the latter part of the afternoon again today. The weather forecast said no rain.....it rained :text-nocomment: .

Anyhow, the fishing was slow and I had to do a lot of roaving to put a bend in my rod. My last spot proved to be my best one and I had barbel, dace and chub from it, only had chub in all the other spots.
A couple of pic's of the day....

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:16 pm

You are doing well, and I haven't even managed to get on the river. Upper reaches of Severn would be fishable tomorrow (grayling trotting), but wife has the car and more heavy rain forecast next 2 days. Very depressing and a couple of pints of maggots now a month old in the fridge!

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks mr Mole,.
Fingers crossed the forecasted rain isnt heavy and doesn't knock the rivers up very much.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:22 am

What river system are you on (if not confidential), I'm guessing it is in slightly better condition for float fishing than the Wye and Severn have been in lately :hissing down:

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Mr Mole wrote:What river system are you on (if not confidential), I'm guessing it is in slightly better condition for float fishing than the Wye and Severn have been in lately :hissing down:

Mr Mole.... :text-nocomment: , but you have a pm :text-hat-tip:

Moley
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Moley » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 am

Earlier in the week Fatty ventured forth to a local river with a tub of old germs.

Utilising an ABU Mark 5 he won in a match years ago, in the time when winners received tackle items rather than filthy lucre, and a 507 Mk 2, 3lb main and 1lb 8oz link to size 20 hook,

Dace and roach were the intended victims on the waggler. the best method for both fish especially with the line dragging bottom.

Nowt for the first hour until Fatty had a tea and pie break, a sit down and think, a slow process nowadays ;-)

Rolling back the years thought turned to Keith Hobson and his insistence that at most times two germs on the hook weaved their magic spell giving the fish a good gob full :text-hat-tip:

Worth a try..........

DSCN0880.JPG

Over a dozen like this thought so with a smattering of roach too bringing a smile to Fatty.

With the gloom settling one last fish decided he liked the look of the presentation, coming in nice and easy, not sure he was hooked until he decided he was and then zoomed off, taking all the end tackle with him......very good of him, saves tackling down!

Barbel in small rivers can be very naughty :text-dratdrat:

Time to get home and face the horrors therein :Beammeup:

As ever,......

Moley :text-molepower:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:52 pm

I knew full well the river was way above my likiing before I decided to have a go this afternoon. Anyhow, I clambered down a huge steep banking to fish off a sort of plateau as everywhere else was unfishable really. As I moved about I disturbed literally millions of midgies that had been dossing about on the dried up nettles etc and after catching one small chub I was driven off by the hoards of them! It reminded me of the scene in the "African Queen" when they were being bitten by millions of mozzies :text-runforthehills: .

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:59 pm

After no trips to the river since September I was out at last, have been monitoring levels in the Severn as they range up and down like a yo-yo (thinks: I bet kids don't even know what a yo-yo is) but with no rain yesterday and dry, sunny forecast today I was off early this morning hoping for the best, a 60 mile drive there. About halfway the streams I crossed were running up and dirty, my heart was sinking but no point turning back then.
Into town I was told it had been chucking it down with rain all night, despite being dry at home! But I bought a pint of maggots and onto the upper Severn. It was far too dirty for trotting and running up, so hard to find any decent water for grayling. I had a light ledger rod with me just in case, so put a small swim feeder on filled with maggots and found a few slacker areas and glides of a sort behind bushes and inside of bends. Possibly had one bite but nothing else, the leaves were on the line in seconds and all very disheartening. I went through the motions for a couple of hours moving swims through the whole stretch and also covered with the float but to no avail. Conditions were pretty pointless, a swim feeder is no way to catch grayling anyway (though I would happily have accepted one) and I was not enjoying the fishing.
Packed up, went back into town for another pint of maggots to take home for the fridge and drove the 60 miles home. A long, long time since I have had such an unenjoyable fishing trip.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:29 pm

I arrived at the lake outlet at 3.15 this avvey so had literally an hour of good light to fish. Anyhow, fish weren't exactly queing up to take my bait and I only managed a couple of chub before the sun went down and the light had faded making it impossible to see my float. I suppose it was better than blanking, but hardly worth the bother....

Snape
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Snape » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:52 pm

Yesterday I met up up with a couple of friends on the Hampshire Avon near Christchurch.
The river was very high but looked fishable.
It was a beautiful stretch but the fish were reluctant to bite. However I managed a lovely 5lb 11oz chub for my troubles which made the 4.5 hour round trip worthwhile. :)

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Spare of the minuite trottin' sesh this avvey, I had a few chub, nothing of any size but they all put a bend in the rod...

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Popped out to do some trotting for the last hour of light again this avvey....blimey that wind was seriously cold! I got out of the car and very nearly just got back in it. I only had a hoody on and if I hadn't found a waterproof wading jacket in the car I would have gone home. The vile wind was a downstream one which was so powerful that it bent my rod half way down the blank as I trotted !
Anyhow, I did catch a few small chub and one large dace, so at least I didn't blank :).

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Today, I fished from 2.15pm until 3.55pm when I could no longer see my float due to cloudy skies and the sun going down. The session was very producrive, I counted to 20 fish and reckon I had another eight to ten more.
I had four chub on my first four trotts and it would have been five out of five if the fifth one hadn't come off :text-dratdrat: . I lost another fish which i'd hit at a range of about 70 yds and i'm quite sure it was a barbel, never mind, saved me unhooking it :text-nocomment: .
A pic of the first four trotts worth...

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Some good sport with chub happening, looking good for a trip out early next week. Something, somewhere :thumbs-up:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Mr Mole wrote:Some good sport with chub happening, looking good for a trip out early next week. Something, somewhere :thumbs-up:

Ive got my fingers crossed for decent weather Sunday, and I've got my eye on some naughty pike. :animals-worm:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:21 am

I've had bother from a couple of big pike in the last week, one just missed a roach as I lifted it and the other took a roach on the way in and bit through the hook length. The first one looked around 15lbs...

I've been mixed river sessions on a perfect river (up just a bit with flow and colour) with continuing to try to crack the better roach in a local commercial. The river has been easy roach fishing as is the case when conditions have been so good, plenty of roach to just over a pound on bread punch from a couple of stretches, with a couple of good dace each time on one stretch and a couple of rudd at the other stretch.

The stillwater continues to yield its better fish on ultra-fine gear - I'm using 1.5lb Maxima mainline and a 22 to 0.08 for the hook link and a 3BB fine-tipped waggler. Some of my sessions - always just 2 to 3 hours - have been late afternoon and even on a Sunday it quietens down by 3pm. Yesterday I went late as the rain had all but ceased by 1pm, a shower came at 2pm, but then it was dry. I had to endure the tiny roach for a while, then the better fish showed, a 1-5 perch, a carp that left me hooked into the close-in tree roots and the odd 6 - 8oz roach. At 4pm as the light went I had a flurry of better roach, two of about 12oz ands two just over a pound.

The heavy rain of Wednesday night and last night has changed the perfect river conditions with the upper Stour having risen 2.3 metres and still rising...

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:57 pm

With the Stour once again high and dirty and even the ford just before the commercial I fish passable with care it was time for a short session on the commercial with maggots again in very mild conditions. As ever I fished fine and it was slower than I expected with the roach none too prolific but perhaps the better fish in the swim put them off. I lost a couple of better fish but had one roach over a pound, a 3lb bream, a 2lb roach x bream hybrid, a 1-8 perch and to cap it off a 2lb tench; add in a rudd and a very mixed bag.

The hybrid:
DSC00073roach x bream.JPG

The best roach:
DSC00075 roach.JPG

And the perch:
DSC00077 perch.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:28 pm

On Sunday I managed to blow my best opportunities with the pike, tricky in shallow clear water, I stalked carefully into range of the shoal of chub and my bait landed bang in the middle, scattering them like dandelion seeds in a high wind... I did manage an oddly out of season tench.

Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Out at last and something of a rubbish trip, I judged the Severn to be float fishable from the levels, but when I first saw the river (11/2 hour drive) I could see there was still too much colour, a slight change of venue and stayed the first day upriver of where I planned. Spent the afternoon and evening trying all the slacks and likely spots for chub, but not a sniff. Early morning went another half hour down river and settled in. Lure for perch - blank, feeder and maggots - blank, worm for perch in evening - blank, bread for roach, chub - a solitary tiny :gobio_gobio: after dark, which didn't give a bite and I thought I reeled in a leaf, till it wiggled. Next morning lures for perch - blank. River and conditions were great for barbel, but barbel were not what I wanted, there is more to fishing than pond carp and river barbel.

Al my clothes and gear were damp and covered in mud, the van was wet and I was fed up, time for home.
Stopped off at our top stretch for a couple of hours as it had cleared a bit by now, also had a pint of maggots left so out with the float rod and wander down the river. Some good sport saved the day, straight into grayling and had around 10 plus maybe 15 trout to 11/2lb+. Then home.

I will be so happy when these damn floods ease off and we can see the river again and fish properly.

Return to “Fishing Lines”