Anyone been out today? Part II...

"Post your fishing stories" and members' comments. Clean ones only. Erudition not required. Which is lucky.
Moley
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Re: Anyone been out today? Part II...

Postby Moley » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Being Fat and generally regarded by the Female of the Species as useless does have its benefits....oh yes lol

Good at making pies and scoffing them whilst slurping tea is a multi-tasking skill few can emulate and sometimes a fish drops a proverbial hairy spheroid; especially when the local experts can't catch for toffees :text-hat-tip:

DSCN0883.JPG

5lb 15oz of pure aggression, making a cold damp day feel temporarily pleasant.

Best not to mention that a 2lb 10oz roach, not a hybrid in anyway shape or form, came to visit Fatty upon his last visit to the Test as this seems to invoke adverse reactions in certain quarters :text-ba-dum-tisssssh:

Not just Matron :text-scary: then...........

As ever,..........

Moley :text-molepower:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grumpalump
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Grumpalump » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Not to mention congratulations on the unmentioned roach, then!
Well done on the barbel, too; they can liven up a day's roaching, can't they, as long as they don't spoil it all or nick the rig. My poor old Spanish reed was getting quite used to a spot of abuse with a bearded wonder at each end of the system... hopefully, now it's a bit colder, there will be a few more roach and only one beardy (me) involved. Need to make a few special floats to replace those snag-battered or removed by the brutes.
Pike "match" this weekend, though; roach head back on after that.

Trailblazer
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby Trailblazer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 pm

My shoulders and neck have been wreckin' me recently so I decided to give the quiver tip a try for a change. The chub turned out to be very sneaky and I soon realised that the only way to hook them was to hold the rod and strike when I thought one had my bunch of maggots in it's mouth. Anyhow, my technique worked and I finnished up with 14 or 15 chub, mostly about the same size as the one in the picture with several a little smaller.
I really do think I would have caught a hell of a lot of chub had I used the float rod..... :text-nocomment: .

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:24 pm

A few days on the Severn this week, the excitement of watching these:
IMG_0296.JPG

Turn to dust in seconds:
IMG_0299.JPG

Fishing for :perca fluviatilis: with float and worm, I failed but caught a few of these, this best one at 4.14oz. Though possibly something else had chewed its tail first.

4.14.JPG

From this lovely little swim - blessed by a rainbow.

IMG_0311.JPG

Lure fishing with perch gear attracted this crocodile at about 11lb, and yes it did go into that net :test-smileyfishing: . But no perch.

11lb pike.JPG

Overall, winter fishing is damn hard work, wet, cold, mud everywhere and not enough daylight. Roll on spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:30 pm

I forgot to add the picture of our rural Christmas decorations - plastic
plastic tree (2).JPG
:xmas-tree:

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:06 pm

I got myself a 15ft 6 inch spliced tip rod recently to accompany the 13ft 6incher I got the other week, it's the longest float rod i've ever had and I went out today to try and christen it. Anyhow, I didn't catch a lot of fish but the rod was very good, and it was christened....

PS...nice pike mr mole :test-smileyfishing:
Last edited by Trailblazer on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:57 pm

With the river dropping off I managed a quick sessiom from 2pm till 3.54pm this afternoon.
First fish was a crumper of a chub which I netted and left on the bank for a second whilst I got my disgorger out my pocket, anyhow it flopped out the net and rolled back in the river and swam off....the hook was left in the net lol, so no pic of the best fish.
After that and a few moves I finnished up with 11 chub at the end of the session, nothing big but some decent ones, a couple of pic's...

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:17 pm

A day on the upper Severn for grayling, at last. Maggots old and well past their best, a hard frost and bright sunshine, but I was content to trot a float. Worked hard and picked up fish here and there and lost a few. Nothing of size but good sport, I think the total was 9 grayling and 4 trout. I'm happy with that.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:39 pm

I squeezed another short session in today, fished the same times as yesterday and had more chub than yesterday, again, nothing big but they all pulled back.
A couple of pic's from the session...

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:07 pm

I hedged my bets yesterday today. Although I wanted to revisit a stillwater I last fished 18 months ago I also wondered whether I could just about get on the high and steaming Stour. I took maggots and a pole for the stillwater and put a groundbait bowl, river groundbait and some river floats in the box which is primarily used for stillwater fishing. The pond proved harder than I hoped, odd bites and three roach, best 12oz, in an hour and a half. Time for the river. I hadn't fished this bit of bank for a decade and it was only just in its banks. No wind was a bonus and the colour looked spot on. I mixed up half a bowl of Gros Gardons and balled in 5 big balls. I started with a 13BB Avon but a fault in the line meant that was lost soon after starting. I changed lines and put on a 5SSG swan quill Avon, with a BB dropper. First bite produced a small dace then a pound roach that put an alarming bend in the rod due to the heavy flow, More small roach followed and eventually that groundbait did its stuff (another ball every 5 minutes), and I had plenty of 8 to 14oz roach, one cracker of 1-5, 45 roach in all in two and a half hours. One omission in my gear was the right river hooks for bread fishing but some barbless B611 in a 14 proved just about right.
DSC00084 Stour.JPG

DSC00086 1-5 roach.JPG

BRPS

Postby BRPS » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 pm

That's a cracking looking roach Mark .

The day before yesterday I spent a very pleasant few hours on the river Dove . It was the colour of milky coffee and only just within its banks . Still on my first cast with really smelly cheesepaste I managed to hook a decent chub of nearly 4lbs . Thereafter not a twitch was to be had .. Still that's fishing for you ..

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:49 pm

I had to go out today and see the new year in with a chub, mission accomplished....

I forgot to mention I got my first fish of 2020 on the first trot though :cool: . Fingers crossed that's a good omen for the year.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Well done TB, rather better than my first day out in 2020. I should have fished the Stour which was looking in good order but my heart was set on the Nadder where the EA gauge showed the level to be pretty good. Alas the level was reasonably good but the pace of the river was pretty damn quick. Here it is:

DSC04432.JPG

So I gave up that idea and headed a few miles south to the Avon at Fordingbridge were I hoped a backwater would offer at least a bit of sport. Well, that idea fell flat too. What can you do when it looks like this?

DSC04445.JPG

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:55 pm

Pity about that Wayfarer, I think I would have persevered on the faster water. Better luck next time out :text-fishing: .

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:05 am

I've got out a couple of times, once to a nearly flooded but not quite Ibsley and then a go at Lyons Gate (I wanted to fish Revels' pike lake but they were shut).
Ibsely:

I pike-fished for a bit and float-fished a worm for a few hours, nothing touched the worm, I nabbed one pike, which was fun.

Lyon's Gate:
The main lake was completely dead, which is rare, but one of the smaller lakes, although swarming with rudd, has some good fish if you can get a bait to them.

Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:58 am

Weyfarer wrote:Well done TB, rather better than my first day out in 2020. I should have fished the Stour which was looking in good order but my heart was set on the Nadder where the EA gauge showed the level to be pretty good. Alas the level was reasonably good but the pace of the river was pretty damn quick. Here it is:

So I gave up that idea and headed a few miles south to the Avon at Fordingbridge were I hoped a backwater would offer at least a bit of sport. Well, that idea fell flat too. What can you do when it looks like this?

The Stour was definitely the best bet. Yesterday I toyed with fishing somewhere in the Sturminster area but baulked at the drive and wind that might be a downstreamer for where I had in mind. I made the shorter journey to the Stour near home and found the river in good trim with less colour than I would have liked, and fished the opposite bank to where I was on Monday. An angler was fishing maggots in one good area but struggling so I left him to it and found a swim a bit further upriver about 60 yards below another angler who was also fishing maggots and also not catching. As with Monday I used Gros Gardons and bread punch on a 16 this time, only needing a 10BB Avon float with the steadier flow. I started to worry the river wasn't going to respond as it was half an hour before my first roach. After an hour I'd had a dozen up to a pound and it was looking promising when a big pike took a roach and eventually bit through the line. That killed the swim. By now the angler below had moved much further down river so I moved to fish the swim above where he'd been. This was much better and I soon got amongst the roach with another three over a pound and plenty upwards of 12oz as well as smaller ones, finishing with 60 roach in total in three hours fishing. I did some more videoing just to get more footage to play around with.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:11 pm

TA, I also spoke with the keeper of the historic and rigorously protected water meadows and he made it known to me that he didn't want any footfall on the squelchy banks and he was worried about my safety for there are a wealth of channels and drains which can be nasty hazards to the less than wary angler.

Nice pike JAA but I'm more ipressed by the chub and carp, both nice lookers.

Finally, a well done to DA showing that he really is a very fine angler.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Trailblazer wrote:I had to go out today and see the new year in with a chub, mission accomplished....
I forgot to mention I got my first fish of 2020 on the first trot though :cool: . Fingers crossed that's a good omen for the year.

Nice 'as usual'. ;-) :text-hat-tip:
Weyfarer wrote:Nice pike JAA but I'm more impressed by the chub and carp, both nice lookers.

Preferred the pike myself, but thankyou. :text-hat-tip:

Weyfarer wrote:Finally, a well done to DA showing that he really is a very fine angler.

:text-hat-tip:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:17 am

DaceAce wrote:
Weyfarer wrote:Well done TB, rather better than my first day out in 2020. I should have fished the Stour which was looking in good order but my heart was set on the Nadder where the EA gauge showed the level to be pretty good. Alas the level was reasonably good but the pace of the river was pretty damn quick. Here it is:

The Stour was definitely the best bet. Yesterday I toyed with fishing somewhere in the Sturminster area but baulked at the drive and wind that might be a downstreamer for where I had in mind. I made the shorter journey to the Stour near home and found the river in good trim with less colour than I would have liked, and fished the opposite bank to where I was on Monday. An angler was fishing maggots in one good area but struggling so I left him to it and found a swim a bit further upriver about 60 yards below another angler who was also fishing maggots and also not catching. As with Monday I used Gros Gardons and bread punch on a 16 this time, only needing a 10BB Avon float with the steadier flow. I started to worry the river wasn't going to respond as it was half an hour before my first roach. After an hour I'd had a dozen up to a pound and it was looking promising when a big pike took a roach and eventually bit through the line. That killed the swim. By now the angler below had moved much further down river so I moved to fish the swim above where he'd been. This was much better and I soon got amongst the roach with another three over a pound and plenty upwards of 12oz as well as smaller ones, finishing with 60 roach in total in three hours fishing. I did some more videoing just to get more footage to play around with.

Mark, I viewed your videos on youtube and noticed the rivers your fishing looked quite small and sluggish, and with you only trotting a short distance I would have thought a stickfloat would have been ideal ?
I noticed you have replaced the stick floats and started to use quite large /heavy avon floats....have you finally seen the light ?
I fish some quite large powerful spate rivers that require me to use bolo floats from 2 to 6 or even 8 grames and would have thought at most a 3 grame avon would be adequate on your chosen waters?

Rutilus

Postby Rutilus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:06 pm

I'm sure Mark will answer for himself but, having seen pictures of the Stour in summer and then again in winter, I expect DA has got it 'weighed up' pretty well. Certainly his results reflect this!

Return to “Fishing Lines”