Constable “Forty Four”

Anything to do with tackle repair & restoration, bamboo, glass or carbon rods, unlimited yarning space here for all of those...and making floats of course.
Haydn
Really really old war-horse

Constable “Forty Four”

Postby Haydn » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Do any of you chaps own one of these?

Some time ago I was lucky enough to win one at my local auction house. It’s a project that I shall probably get done in the coming weeks. The cane is in excellent condition but most of the guides are missing along with any sign of where they once were. So, I could do with knowing the guide spacing, if anyone has one.

Also, and I know this is a long shot, but has anyone ever managed to find a way of replicating the makers labels? My rod is clearly a Forty four as that is still written on the butt section but sadly the Constable label has escaped from custody, so to speak.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Constable “Forty Four”

Postby JAA » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:50 pm

Sadly, no, but I'm curious as to how its tapers compare to (say) a Mk.IV. :text-hat-tip:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

gloucesteroldspot
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby gloucesteroldspot » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 am

I've got one. Only replacement whipping is the tip ring, which I re-did when I got it as the original had dried out and frayed too badly to save. The others were in good order so I just gave the whole rod a coat of varnish. Like yours the oval Constable transfer is (partly) missing, though the Script 'Forty Fore' is intact.

The ring spacing is a little weird - on mine anyway. There is the usual large diameter Agatine butt ring and a single full open bridge intermediate on the butt and five intermediates plus tip ring on the top joint, which is standard MkIV territory. However, the space between butt ring and first intermediate is less than the space between first and second intermediates, and the first intermediate ring is smaller than you'd find on most MkIVs. I am completely confident that this is original and exactly how it left Constable's workshop. I considered removing the first intermediate and replacing it with a slightly larger one closer to the female ferrule, but to get the spacing really 'correct' I'd have to move the butt ring down towards the handle as well, which would throw all the intermediate whippings out of kilter. On balance I've decide to leave it alone.

Generally it's a nice rod. The action is not quite the same as a MkIV (compared to a Southwell at any rate) - the tip section has a marginally slower taper, resulting in a top joint slightly stiffer in the top two feet and softer in the lower three feet, with a subtle but noticeable change in stiffness between top and bottom joint. Overall I'd say it is marginally less powerful than my Southwell, and considerably less powerful than most late model B James MkIVs.

Haydn

Postby Haydn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks for that GOS. Useful information.

It’s been a while since I looked at the rod but I dug it out today and my memory had failed me a little. On close inspection I can see where the guides were, even though they are all missing.

I may well restore it in the coming weeks and post up some photos.

Return to “The Workshop”