Pike fly

Anything to do with tackle repair & restoration, bamboo, glass or carbon rods, unlimited yarning space here for all of those...and making floats of course.
Santiago
must get out more
must get out more

Pike fly

Postby Santiago » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:48 pm

IMG_20200610_173950.jpg

My first ever pike fly made from a squirrels tale, and peacock feathers, and eyes from thin sections of a large porcupine quill. It's 6" long. Hopefully it'll catch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Re: Pike fly

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Looks good to me, the squirrel tail should have a good action in the water (presume it is de-boned). Plenty of variations to die the tails as well. Just let me know when you want another load of squirrel tails if it works, have a good bag of them in the freezer ;-) .

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pike fly

Postby JAA » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:00 am

It might be worth adding a tandem second (single) hook on a short legth of trace wire, so that the bend of the hook is level with the end of the 'tail'. I've found that sprat rigs with this 'loose' tail hook hook mpike more often than those without. Mustad do a nice range of red-flashed sea-hooks (MUSTAD RED BAITHOLDER / SEA HOOKS) which are idea for this.

I flatten the shank barbs as well as the barb on the hook itself, using some fine needle nose pliers. The below are for sprat sink-and-draw, the large hook goes thorugh the head, the second is nicked into the side of the bait and the third trails a little behind the bait. The trace is one piece of wire, constructed using 'knot-less' knots which are super-glued and then have a little heat shrink put over the wire.

They're for small pike in a small pond, so the top hook is a size 4(?) 'baitholder' and the two trailing hooks are size 8's I think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mustad-92668 ... t0aEJnRIOQ
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Return to “The Workshop”