What I Did Today

All things not strictly fishing as such. Including but not limited to: ISIHAC, cricket, food, single malts, accommodation, proper beer, shiraz, proper tea made in a teapot, cakes, pies...you get the idea.
Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Re: What I Did Today

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:02 pm

Flipping heck, I've got a box of those in my shed ........

Only teasing, I am in awe of what you produce, so far beyond my efforts. I console myself that I probably have the edge on you if equiped with a bag of 6inch nails and a club hammer.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:16 am

watermole+ wrote:
DSCF8038.JPG

Very fine effort that, very fine. :text-hat-tip:

I have finished cleaning and repainting (where appropriate) my plane and I am going to get the youngest to sharpen the bade for me (as a luthier in training). It only needs touching up but her whetstone is dead square, whereas mine is, er, 'worn'. Then it will be reassembled and I will see about the garage door...

Yesterday, I re-sealed the back of the sink and made 'anti-slug' devices for my horseradish.

Will empty the composters today to prepare the veggie bed and we have planted tomatoes, peppers and chillies in the lean-to. Beans will be potted in a few weeks, but there is no rush, the ground is too cold for them for a month at least and potting them too soon just means hard-to-transplant straggley bean plants, which never goes well.

My list of jobs is growing faster than I can tick them off...
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

gloucesteroldspot
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby gloucesteroldspot » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:54 am

Weyfarer wrote:I've been gardening every day plus erecting a new hen house. So pleased with the weather and hope those Pathers further north are recovering from the floods - they seem to have been forgotten by the media.

Full marks for JAA's handle and 3, Haydn's chisel and box and Watermole's reel is beyond words.

GOS - Why is a freshly tied dry fly better than an older one? I presume, like many of us, that your tying materials are far from fresh.

I don't say a freshly-tied fly is better - only that I have an idea they might be. It's not about freshness of materials either, but how long those materials have been bound onto a hook. Most traditionally dressed dry flies have stiffish hackle and tail fibres that spring away from the stalk; I am inclined to think that this springiness begins to degrade once the stalk has been bent around a hook shank or the fibres are torn from their parent stalk. I can't present any firm evidence - it's just a hunch. Ditto furs used for dubbing.

Many years ago in Trout & Salmon (I think) there was an 'exchange of views' in the letters page about speed of fly tying. I don't have the relevant editions handy but as I recall it, a correspondent called into question a statement about flies tied quickly having more 'life' in them than those tied slowly and painstakingly. His argument was that it made no difference except that the rapidly-tied fly was more likely to disintegrate. Well, that really depends on the skill of the tier, but I do think you can overdress a fly - not just in terms of the amount of materials used (a common enough beginner error) but by the deliberate and methodical placement of them. Too much handling is not, in my opinion, a good thing for an artificial fly, unless tied expressly for show.

As I said, this is all just a hunch, not a statement of fact.

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Put up the trellis that i have been painting.Quite pleased with it.Put some potatoes in pots (more in The Garden Path).Warmed up leftovers for dinner (tea).Lovely sunny day here today.
Ring a ring a roses a pocketful of posies atishoo,atishoo we all fall down.

Haydn
Really really old war-horse

Postby Haydn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:48 pm

Lovely day here in Bedfordshire too.

Today I painted one section of fence from my garden. In Forest Green, unfortunately. It’s the neighbour’s boundry and politeness dictates that I do it the same colour as they have their side, in case any colour bleeds through. It’s been a while since I done it so another coat or two is in order.

My garden is strange in that I have boundaries with no less than five of my neighbours. Thankfully, three of those are my boundaries so the fence here has been done with creosote. Fencelife type products are crap in my humble opinion. This was confirmed when I asked the chap who made my fence panels what type of finish to use and he said that anything water-based I may as well pee up against the fence and it would offer as much protection. This has indeed proved to be true as the creosote panels are seemingly in much better order than the Fencelifed panels.

Other than that, I managed to re-handle another chisel today. A nice Stanley bevel-edged 25mm. Stanley chisels are very good. However, I find the blue resin handles a little offensive on the eye and with little better to do with my time I opted to make what is known as a “London Pattern” handle in Indian rosewood and ferruled up with a brass ferrul salvaged from another chisel.
Last edited by Haydn on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

watermole+
Very nearly a member now ;-)
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby watermole+ » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Spent most of the morning working on a new reel build then thought about making a tip ring for the little road I am remaking.

However, easier said than done.
This one was a little bit tricky. I had to make the bezel firstly from brass, turn up a tapered sleeve which was then heated and bent to shape before the two could be soldered together.

The hard part was soldering on the 0,6 mm diameter side legs without getting the bezel so hot that the agate fell off. Having done both sides, the sleeve was wasted away at the end to make the sides which will be whipped on. The silk will eventually go up to where the side wires join.

The first two reside in the scrap bin. This is the third attempt..The 50 pence coin is for comparison!

DSCF8050.JPG

DSCF8053.JPG

DSCF8054.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:32 pm

It really was a sledgehammer, 4ft iron bar and shovel for me today, knocked out some breeze blocks and built temporary steps (till I can buy cement etc.). For our neighbour, he has access to his garden round the back of our house.
Jumped on the bike this afternoon and did 13 miles up to the reservoir and home again, sunshine and cool, very pleasant, one ear open for the cuckoo and hoping these warm southerlies bring them over.

Haydn

Postby Haydn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Double post. Sorry.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm

:swallow: outside the house this morning, spring is here and time to :text-gonefishing: . Or not :text-tumbleweed:

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:38 pm

Seed sowing today. :thumbs-up:

Haydn

Postby Haydn » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:54 pm

The Doors on the headphones and a creosote brush in hand for me, much of today.

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:01 pm

In the garden again today.Its very small but there is a surprising amount to do at this time of year.Finished sowing the first batches of vegetables.Sat in the sun for most of the afternoon.Cooked a nice omelette for our tea.Plenty of :cheesy_mouse: (without the mouse!).

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:30 pm

JAA wrote: Yesterday, I re-sealed the back of the sink and made 'anti-slug' devices for my horseradish.

What do you use for an anti-slug device?

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:59 pm

maggotdrowner wrote:
JAA wrote: Yesterday, I re-sealed the back of the sink and made 'anti-slug' devices for my horseradish.

Myself, I rely mainly on the local badger population :cool:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:21 pm

maggotdrowner wrote:

I invert a flowerpot, cut the bottom out, put it over the plant and make two loops of copper wire to drop over the flowerpot, so they rest on the slope about half an inch apart.

Haydn

Postby Haydn » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:23 pm

maggotdrowner wrote:

In the absence of badgers in my garden I’ve found beer traps to be quite effective.

However, there are some slug pellets that are endorsed by the Soil Assosiation which I have also used to good effect.

https://marshallsgarden.com/products/gr ... lsrc=aw.ds

By far the best stuff we’ve tried though is Nemaslug. I won’t try and explain how it works, maggotdrowner, but it’s certainly worth looking into.

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/nemaslug/8-nemaslug

Perhaps a combination of two or all three of the above would provide a decent solution.

Hope this helps.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:44 pm

Today's story goes back to yesterday evening when the Asda delivery arrived, we ordered it near 3 weeks ago and zero chance of another delivery, but there we go. I the major supply drop were my 2 litres of medicinal whisky and my wifes 2 litres of recreational gin.
All good until we checked the goods more closely and found the gin bottles each had the security bottle locks still attached :angry:
This morning she finally got through to Asda and they refunded the money. About 60 seconds of hacksaw work and a little Google research and we have free gin :boxoffrogs:

She also cut my hair :Beammeup: but nobody will see it for weeks. I had a good bike ride and spotted a stonking brownie in a stream on a friend's farm, marked for future reference. Had our first bonfire meal this evening, with gin, stay safe and we shall see this out :thumbs-up:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:10 am

Mr Mole wrote:Had our first bonfire meal this evening, with gin, stay safe and we shall see this out :thumbs-up:

Seems an expensive way to light a bonfire... :cool:

Haydn

Postby Haydn » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:28 am

JAA wrote:
Haydn wrote:... from a bistro set we keep down near the greenhouse.

Blimey, you're posh. :cool:

JAA wrote:
Mr Mole wrote:Had our first bonfire meal this evening, with gin, stay safe and we shall see this out :thumbs-up:

And you though I was posh!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:46 pm

JAA wrote:

One only uses the cheap stuff for :home-fire: lighting, doesn't everyone?

Return to “Beyond the Rabbit Proof Fence”