What I Did Today

All things not strictly fishing as such. Including but not limited to: ISIHAC, cricket, food, single malts, accommodation, proper beer, shiraz, proper tea made in a teapot, cakes, pies...you get the idea.
JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What I Did Today

Postby JAA » Sun May 17, 2020 6:18 pm

Put the bean sticks up. Cleared up the soil around the new oil tank, sieved it, put it back and sewed new grass. Which took longer than you might think...
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm

champ wrote:Its a long time since i made beer.I did enjoy it though i was never sure how strong it was.Two or perhaps three glasses and my head was spinning,so i guess that it was pretty strong.Love the mayfly :thumbs-up: .

Takes me back to earlier times, beer and wine making veered between very palatable :__]: and drain cleaner.
Ginger beer making are particularly happy memories, made some primed with sugar in high pressure pop bottles and gave some to the man I worked with (couldn't stand the bloke, but another story), he put them in the kitchen with a very warm Rayburn. I'm sure you know the chemistry, major pressure build up :text-runforthehills: followed by massive explosion and goodbye to one of his kitchen windows.
Happy Days of youth :text-bowdown:

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 pm

JAA wrote:Put the bean sticks up. Cleared up the soil around the new oil tank, sieved it, put it back and sewed new grass. Which took longer than you might think...

I'm not surprised it took you a long time to sew the grass.....try sowing the next packet.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun May 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Weyfarer wrote:
JAA wrote:Put the bean sticks up. Cleared up the soil around the new oil tank, sieved it, put it back and sewed new grass. Which took longer than you might think...

I'm not surprised it took you a long time to sew the grass.....try sowing the next packet.

Ah, I see where I went wrong there. banghead.gif

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Working in the garden today :thumbs-up:
Ring a ring a roses a pocketful of posies atishoo,atishoo we all fall down.

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Mrs GP and I went to a local garden centre today for a few supplies - first time my car has been out since 'lockdown'. On the way home I managed to drive over a branch in the road (unintentionally), and now the plastic shield thingie* between the engine and the road is hanging off. I knew I should have not given in to Mrs GP and sent her off to the garden centre alone :cool:

*I'm hopeless with cars, but very good at breaking them...

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon May 18, 2020 6:39 pm

We put some chicks out in assorted pens this morning, bantam, duck, chicken and then let the goslings and Mum out in the field for the first time, thankfully they sorted themselves out with the other geese and new pecking order established.
Swept the woodburner chimney, first time in years and always a litttle nervous something will go wrong - namely the rods will undo and things wedged up the chimney, it all went smoothly - phew.
Chopped more firewood and loads of stacking for my good wife to play with, she enjoys that bit and has plans for a round stack like an old hay rick. I fully encourage her :text-hat-tip:
Knackered this evening, had cauliflower cheese and baked potatoes and a little snooze in front of the woodburner is looming.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Mon May 18, 2020 7:20 pm

Planted out big pot of californian poppies, dug out about 20lb of lovage root to make way for it. Replanted a lot of bluebell bulbs that needed thinning out. Mrs AA noticed one of the small apple trees as dead so I've just cut it down. :angry:

Plus, I 'fixed' one of my website engines, doubling it's speed. I say 'fixed', it wasn't really broken as such. :computer_madness:

Santiago
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Santiago » Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 pm

First thing this morning I went to tescos, first time in 8 weeks, to rekindle my supplies. Had to queue for about ten minutes before they opened, but it worth it because they had fresh stocks of flour, so I treated myself to two kilo packs. Now I can make cakes! Then I went to work, but just to pick up paint. Last week they sent me white instead of olive green. They only had two orders that day and unwittingly muddled them up. It was a great relief opening the box and seeing the big tin of the right colour.

Once home I watched an episode of Frasier before heading out to make a new wooden handle for my boat's tiller. I selected a nice piece of tropical hardwood from the remains (a leg) of an old garden chair that I retired a few month ago because the struts had rotted. Anyway, that involved lots of sanding to reshape it to fit into the connector on the tiller. Needless to say, I am very pleased with the job, which hopefully will last for years.

After lunch I had a quick nap before messing about with the punt. With some spare iroka batons I fashioned two sections of 10" pieces to raise my rollocks about an inch and a half. Then there was the obligatory row to check the new fittings. The problem with the old set up was whilst rowing the upward stroke was everso slightly inpeded by my thighs. Simply raising the rollocks has worked a treat.

Tomorrow and the rest of the week will see me continue the painting of my narrow boat, and I'll have to have an early start for it's near impossible to paint once the sun hits the boat, as it gets incredibly hot.

Hopefully the recently forecast rain will keep at bay and not interfre too much with my plans!

Santiago
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Santiago » Wed May 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Have felt Ratty all day, as in Wind in the Willows. Started just after 6:30 this morning and spent 5 hours painting one side of the boat and a small part of the stern with top coat olive green. As the old blue and red started to disappear under the olive I started to have doubts as to whether I liked the new colour, but as it took form I started to warm to it, and now seeing a whole side finished I positively love the new look. And I look forward to tomorrow which will see the final coat to reveal its true colour.

In the afternoon I messed about fixing bits of hardwood to the tops of the gunnels, they're fixed in pairs with a 1 cm gap, and will act as rod rests. Then I applied some danish oil to the new woodwork.

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Wed May 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Quite a hard day (six and a half hours) at the nursery today.Watering in our warmest poly tunnel was one of the jobs,phew it was hot!.Left at 4pm.Watering at home.And I cut the grass....Front and back :cool: .

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed May 20, 2020 8:01 pm

My wife started the day by going out at 4.30am to check her moth trap, a bit early but the morning was so nice she stayed out for an hour listening to the dawn chorus, which she said was incredible here. I slept on. She had a very good catch with the mercury vapour lamp lighting up the whole damn valley :text-scary:
A day for clearing and putting away, cleaned the camper after all the rust work (now finished), sorted tools and shed (a bit) until the heat was too much inside. Had a bike ride up to the reservoir to check out the hydro scheme building, then home and watering the garden.
This evening was dinner cooked on the camp fire and a bottle of beer. The very last bottle in stock but thankfully there is a supermarket delivery tomorrow evening :thumbs-up:

Santiago
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Santiago » Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 am

Another early start and painted the final top coat to the one side of the boat. Made the tiller scratch proof with parachord; there wasn't much original paint left here because it's was scraped off over years by me taking my bycicle on and off the boat.

That was this morning, now looking forward to lunch, a small nap, and inventing uses for bits of hardwood on the punt.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 am

I spent a couple of hours making a new attachment for my weed-cutting blade, as the plactic on the old one boke. I made a new one out of a 10mm bolt. I've planted a few beans and put some grass seed down on one of the repiared patches by the oil tank and will do the patch other later on today. Off out fishing tomorrow, hopefully. :text-fishing:

Haydn
Really really old war-horse
Really really old war-horse

Postby Haydn » Thu May 21, 2020 2:38 pm

Last night I walked some of my old haunts on the upper Gt. Ouse. I was reminded of just how lovely some of the stretches are round here and it’s reawakened a dormant urge in me to fish the river after what has been the thick end of a three-year absence. The river looked in fine fettle with an abundance of mayfly doing their merry dance.

Sadly the barn owl - my main reason for being there - failed to show but I was pleased to see another chap with his camera who told me that the bird is again this year hunting the fields that surround the river.

Got bitten on the ankle by something. Right on top of that little round protrusion on the side. It’s swollen, hot and itching like a barstardo. Someone once told me that these little fxxxers like high class, sophisticated and intelligent blood, so obviously I’m on a hiding to nothing, me. ;-)
Last edited by Haydn on Thu May 21, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Thu May 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Having some real issues with the company that I bought the solar panels from. They've taken my money but their website says I still need to pay. I've been emailing and telephoning every day for a week and they're not answering. It's understandable if they are shut down, but tell people and don't keep taking money for a service you have no intention of providing! Wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole and I was going to buy another panel from them next month too, so they've lost out there.

A bit of a worry because it was a lot of money. I hope they haven't taken my money and then gone bust! But if they're totally unresponsive how will I ever know?

Similar issues with roof vents. Website claimed to have loads in stock, so I ordered two. Got a phone call the next day saying they had nothing but would send them out within the week. That was two weeks ago and not heard anything since. Quite dishonest to say you have it in stock, take people's money and then telephone to say you have none.

All very frustrating and means real progress is impossible despite having all the time in the world and perfect weather for cutting hole in the roof of the van!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I did manage to find some ladders though today and removed the wooden boards from the roof rack and cleaned the roof of the van. I've painted the boards ready for putting back up when / if the materials arrive.

At least the sun and heat is drying the paint nice and quick.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm

I had a similar problem last autumn when I ordered some new tyres for the push-bike, ones I wanted seemed out of stock everywhere till I found a company that had them in. Took the order and money and then stalled, went on over 2 months before they arrived.
Obviously they never had them in the first place, dishonest as you say and left with the decision to cancel the order and try elsewhere or stick with them, you just want the truth so you can plan. I hope you have better luck than me.

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Sun May 24, 2020 8:58 pm

We did not need to go to the nursery today so i was able to spend most of the day in the garden.The first batch of tomatoes have been in the greehouse for over a week.I was able to fit the first growbag under the bench and planted three in it.I used three litre pots half filled with compost on top of holes in the bag to give extra depth.I will fill these pots with compost so the tomato stems can root into it.
I am now moving plants out of the greenhouse to the hardening bench so there is room for tomorrows batches of sowings.I potted on any plants that needed it.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 pm

Picked the first courgette, only very, very small as the first off the plants often are, but there's more coming soon and should have some to eat. Bit of messing about with chicken pens and more chicks coming out tomorrow, also had a nice bike ride up to the reservoir.
Looks like a sunny week ahead, the reservoir level is dropping fast and it is only May, need some proper rain in the next couple of weeks.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Horrible stomach bug yesterday, just me, no idea what did it, so spent most of yesterday with cramps and sleeping. Seem ok today, but don't feel 100%. When it's cooled off, I'll put the tomato plants on sticks, they're over 2 feet high now.

I have mended my landing net handle as well. I'm hoping that was worth doing ;-)

Return to “Beyond the Rabbit Proof Fence”