What I Did Today

All things not strictly fishing as such. Including but not limited to: ISIHAC, cricket, food, single malts, accommodation, proper beer, shiraz, proper tea made in a teapot, cakes, pies...you get the idea.
Haydn
Really really old war-horse
Really really old war-horse

Re: What I Did Today

Postby Haydn » Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Weyfarer wrote:
(what did you finish them with?)

A two part finish by Sikkens called Cetol HLS PLUS and Filter 7. It’s just about the best surface coating for outside use on these type of gates. Expensive. I would have liked to oil finish them, as they would have looked nicer initially but I just didn’t want the aggravation of the maintenance.

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Sun May 31, 2020 9:57 am

The plants are doing fine Weyfarer - well done indeed to you and Mrs Weyfarer on raising that huge amount :text-hat-tip:

I think that's my swim on that local lake you have photographed :cool: That photo has inspired me to at least think about sorting out my coarse fishing tackle, I'm certain to be there some time in the first week of the season.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun May 31, 2020 12:49 pm

I've done very little outdoors in the last week - the grass pollen has peaked and after thirty mintues I end up sneezing continuously, and while several of 'the drugs' work, I can't take them for long as they have side effects which are worse, so I tend to use them sparingly to take the edge off. This year's been the worst for some time, it's starting to feel like the mid 70's when I would literally sneeze continuously all day and quite dreaded the onset of warm weather. There's a reason why all my favourite swims face north and have trees behind them...

I've never had so much trouble growing plants in the conservatory as I've had this year. I've had to plant two lots of beans as the first lot only had a 25% sprouting rate, even corgettes are only coming in aorund 50%, I couldn't sprout a single tomato seed, and I can't get a sunflower to grow either. I've no idea what's going on, we've tried two diffent composts and even mixed them with sieved garden soil. Stuff just isn't coming up. Most odd. Normally we just plant it all at the right time and up it all comes. banghead.gif

That said, we've got enough beans to plant out, although a lot of water will be needed - we've emptied two barrels already and for the first time since we moved in, I've refilled them using the hose. It look as if it's going to be a long hot dry one. :text-tumbleweed:

Oh, and I mended my landing net handle. Might even need it. :cheesy grin:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun May 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Mr Mole wrote:The village is having a scarecrow :text-dratdrat: competition, beats watching TV at the moment.
We got that finished and he went up this afternoon for judging tomorrow, obviously his theme is :text-gonefishing: .
Wearing a Barbour jacket, wellies, fishing hat with spinners in plus a rod and landing net. The empty whisky bottle poking out of his jacket pocket rather let's the side down. I shall try to remember a photo for you. Apparently competition is stiff with over 20 entries, which is near the number of people living here!

Ended up with 30 entries and some of them very good I must say, but still think ours is the most authentic and many have commented on my alter ego. He is rather lifelike :text-fishing:

scarecrow.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leigh
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby Leigh » Sun May 31, 2020 7:42 pm

That's a good effort on the scarecrow. We had similar ideas during lockdown just for some fun, although I donated all of my decent fishing jackets and warm weather clothing for fishing to the homeless during the winter months.

My son was happy with the cake his mum had made.

20200530_062021-01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sun May 31, 2020 7:42 pm

Excellent Mr Mole, or should I congratulate Mrs M?

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Sun May 31, 2020 7:53 pm

I’m not spending over an hour waiting in line to go to the tip again!

Do you think I’ve got it going okay, or do I need more wood on there?

Leigh

Postby Leigh » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:07 pm

A neighbour was going to throw this in a skip. I thought it may make a sanctuary for some water creatures.

Will make a trip to the garden centre tomorrow for a few aquatic plants.

20200605_180033-01.jpeg

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:10 pm

A good scavenge, a very good scavenge. I'm envious of that, we have one outside the back door planted up. Well rescued.

Santiago
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Santiago » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:49 am

Finally finished painting the boat this morning. Applied the last coat of black hammerite to the floor of the front above the water tank, and some bitumen paint around the chimney area to give a little extra protection. Now I just need to wait a few days for the paint to cure nicely before I start putting things back.

That leaves a few days to sort my tackle out for the coming season, and to read a few good fishing books to get me in the mood.

Leigh

Postby Leigh » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:12 pm

Mr Mole wrote:A good scavenge, a very good scavenge. I'm envious of that, we have one outside the back door planted up. Well rescued.

Many thanks Mr Mole, gravel, water and a few aquatic plants added.

20200606_174918-01.jpeg

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:25 am

Today I have reported the solar panel supplier to Trading Standards and told them if they don't send me my refund I intend to take them to the small claims court. What joy...

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

In happier news I've been catching lots of little tench, despite the pouring rain and thunder storms. :hissing down:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:52 pm

maggotdrowner wrote:In happier news I've been catching lots of little tench, despite the pouring rain and thunder storms. :hissing down:

I do like catching little tench. They're amusing somehow. :tincatinca:

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:03 pm

JAA wrote:I do like catching little tench. They're amusing somehow. :tincatinca:

I know what you mean, JAA.

Here's one with eyes bigger than his bis belly. He can't get the golden grains in his mouth! lol

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:28 pm

I've been working on the van electrics. No big bangs yet...

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Did you get anything sorted with those solar panels? And have you plucked up courage to cut any holes in the roof next.

My van is coming up for 3 months SORN due to no travel in Wales but somewhat aggravating to see camper vans parked up at the reservoir and on the roads. Still, rules and restrictions only apply so some banghead.gif

maggotdrowner
must get out more
must get out more

Postby maggotdrowner » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 pm

Mr Mole wrote:Did you get anything sorted with those solar panels? And have you plucked up courage to cut any holes in the roof next.

My van is coming up for 3 months SORN due to no travel in Wales but somewhat aggravating to see camper vans parked up at the reservoir and on the roads. Still, rules and restrictions only apply so some banghead.gif

I woke up one day, looked out of the window at the van, which I hadn't worked on for well over a month, and get really fed up with getting nowhere. They were ignoring my phone calls, emails and Facebook messages all that time. So I went on a little online rampage. I copied them into an email to Trading Standards, basically telling them that the company was nothing more than a front for scammers, that they had stolen my money and I detailed all our rather one-sided correspondence. I then sent an email direct to the company, telling them what I had done. I then sent another, telling them I had started taking legal action and that my legal representative (an old fishing mate) would be in touch via his office and that we were going to take them to Small Claims Court. Then I found their YouTube videos and commented on them all, telling them exactly what I thought of them. I did the same on their Facebook. Then I wrote a very scathing review on Trust Pilot. I was going to keep going until I at least provoked an acknowledgement of my existence. But I stopped when I got an email confirming my refund.

It was very stressful and such a shame I had to turn nasty to get a response. But I got sick of three phone calls, a Facebook message and an email getting ignored every single day.

I have since bought another two panels from another company and I can't fault them. He responded to me within ten minutes, pointed me in the right direction on a question I asked and I collected them the next working day.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:29 pm

Well done :thumbs-up: . Not how it should be and not how you want it to be, but needs must when they behave like that.
All I ever want is some honesty from these companies, if the can't or won't provide then they should say so, but not stall having kept the money - they are just asking for bad publicity.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 am

maggotdrowner wrote:
Mr Mole wrote:Did you get anything sorted with those solar panels? And have you plucked up courage to cut any holes in the roof next.

So I went on a little online rampage. I copied them into an email to Trading Standards, basically telling them that the company was nothing more than a front for scammers, that they had stolen my money and I detailed all our rather one-sided correspondence. I then sent an email direct to the company, telling them what I had done. I then sent another, telling them I had started taking legal action and that my legal representative (an old fishing mate) would be in touch via his office and that we were going to take them to Small Claims Court. Then I found their YouTube videos and commented on them all, telling them exactly what I thought of them. I did the same on their Facebook. Then I wrote a very scathing review on Trust Pilot. I was going to keep going until I at least provoked an acknowledgement of my existence. But I stopped when I got an email confirming my refund.

It was very stressful and such a shame I had to turn nasty to get a response. But I got sick of three phone calls, a Facebook message and an email getting ignored every single day.

I have since bought another two panels from another company and I can't fault them. He responded to me within ten minutes, pointed me in the right direction on a question I asked and I collected them the next working day.

I admit I do the same, but I ask once (politely) and then go straight to 'rampage'. I do not waste any time 'being nice' to people who owe me money or are indulging in sharp practise. Feck 'em. :angry:

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm

My cheque is in the post JAA.

Return to “Beyond the Rabbit Proof Fence”