Odds and Sods.

All things not strictly fishing as such. Including but not limited to: ISIHAC, cricket, food, single malts, accommodation, proper beer, shiraz, proper tea made in a teapot, cakes, pies...you get the idea.
Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Odds and Sods.

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:20 am

Heading off today, via ruddy dentist, for cider festival just outside Ross on Wye. I can't believe I will be that close to the river for 4 days with no fishing rod, have to drown my sorrows in the apple juice :boxoffrogs:

satt2006
10 bob's worth
10 bob's worth

Re: Odds and Sods.

Postby satt2006 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Well as soon as the apple juice is fermented you probably gonna have some fun.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 am

Enjoyable weekend, not so sure about the cider though. Flippin heck that stuff is lethal and I had a very short shelf life of standing upright each evening, very nice to drink but easy to forget the potency :__]:
The tooth antibiotics probably don't help, but the toothache has gone and tooth coming out in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone had teeth out, a back molar? As a first timer, someone please reassure me that I will not die in agony on the dentist's chair, I'm a wimp regards teeth and this is my idea of hell :Wile E Coyote:

Grumpalump
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Grumpalump » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:02 pm

It's nothing to worry about once the anaesthetic's kicked in, and dentists have finally twigged that if they want any return trade, they do better by numbing your gum with the anaesthetic before and as they inject it. Takes longer, hurts less.Enjoy!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 pm

There's a robin that has taken a liking to us, territory round our back door. We have a habit of leaving the door open most of the time whilst working in the garden and it comes in the house looking for scraps - it may even open the fridge and use the cooker :bacnon'n'eggs: .

This morning it made it's way into the spare bedroom and I had to catch it from there, yesterday my shed, it is into everything with no fear of houses. Bird poo keeps appearing everywhere, wife not totally amused :text-nocomment:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Grumpalump wrote:It's nothing to worry about once the anaesthetic's kicked in, and dentists have finally twigged that if they want any return trade, they do better by numbing your gum with the anaesthetic before and as they inject it. Takes longer, hurts less.Enjoy!

Amazingly, it wasn't too bad, in fact nothing to worry about at all. I couldn't believe how quickly the tooth came out and I was going home. Not even needed any painkillers at all - though there is a scary big hole where a tooth used to be.

Think I watched too many Westerns as a child, where you drank a bottle of whisky at the bar and then somebody whacked you over the head unconscious, and then the drunk town surgeon came at the tooth with a pair of fencing pliers.

Techniques have advanced.......but medicinal whisky tonight.

Haydn
Really really old war-horse

Postby Haydn » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:32 pm

I like the idea of an odds and sods thread. A place for the most inane and irrelevant ramblings.

Can anyone play or is this for Mr Mole's odds and sods only?

I'm going to assume it's the former.....so here's my musing for the day.

I've been thinking this afternoon about how my mind and Mrs H's seem to work in completely different ways. Cutting a short story long, I've been plagued at home with technical gremlins recently. I have a combination boiler in the terminal stages of it's life at a mere 12 years old but to frustrate me even more, I've arrived home this afternoon to a fridge-freezer where the fridge has packed up. This means going through the tiresome and potentially confrontational and argumentative process off buying a new one. I know this to be a certainty as I can clearly remember the last time, only around four years ago.

Anyway, the source of the potential disharmony between myself and She Who Is Always Right will be on the relative merits of the replacement fridge. To me, and call me Phil, Phil Istine, if you will, it simply needs to keep the frigging milk cold. If it can do that, reliably and without causing me any agg in the next ten years (it's not much to ask, surely?), then it can look like a bloody great breeze block in my kitchen but I will love it forever and ever, with all my heart until the day it dies. The other half, on the other hand, will be looking at superficial niceties such as what the damn thing looks like...what colour it is.... do the egg trays match the plain white boring inside or the nice gloss black outside.... does it have a mood light mode... will it show fingerprint marks on the outside.........

Really, the list is endless and I can see bust up in the making. banghead.gif

Chaps, you need to feel sorry for me and you need to do so now.

Going off on a slight tangent here, but sticking to the gist of some of the previous posts, I would dearly love to personally extract the molars from the CEO of Hotpoints head, sans pain killer for putting me through this again by their manufacture of such shyte products.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Haydn wrote:I like the idea of an odds and sods thread. A place for the most inane and irrelevant ramblings.

Can anyone play or is this for Mr Mole's odds and sods only?

Perhaps everyone can play...it's a nice idea for a thread Mr. Mole. :text-hat-tip:

Haydn wrote:Chaps, you need to feel sorry for me and you need to do so now.

Going off on a slight tangent here, but sticking to the gist of some of the previous posts, I would dearly love to personally extract the molars from the CEO of Hotpoints head, sans pain killer for putting me through this again by their manufacture of such shyte products.

I generally work out a spec. look on the internet, chose the model that fits, check the reviews and then pick the best one. Then see how I can get it. But I'm a bloke...

Top tip though, is get a fridge/freezer that has an 'open door alarm(s)'.
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 pm

I started it for everyone.
For those odd thoughts, ramblings, experiences that don't deserve a thread of their own, or even require a reply. Please join in.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Mr Mole wrote:I started it for everyone.
For those odd thoughts, ramblings, experiences that don't deserve a thread of their own, or even require a reply. Please join in.

If anyone wants their own thread for a blog/personal ramble, do let me know, I'll see how we might work it out. :text-hat-tip:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Haydn wrote:To me, and call me Phil, Phil Istine, if you will, it simply needs to keep the frigging milk cold. If it can do that, reliably and without causing me any agg in the next ten years (it's not much to ask, surely?), then it can look like a bloody great breeze block in my kitchen but I will love it forever and ever, with all my heart until the day it dies.

Maggots, don't forget the maggots, or is that :text-scary: in your household lol

Haydn

Postby Haydn » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Most definitely :text-scary: in my household.

That said, I've never been to keen on the idea much myself.

On the recent trip to Symonds Yat we kept maggots in the fridge of the cottage we stayed in. That was three blokes fishing together for four days and generally just "lettin' it all hang out", for want of a better description. But maggots in the fridge? If mum was there :text-scary: or my other half :text-scary: or brother's other half :text-scary:

Mind you, us three on that trip.....

We were saying to one another how nice the place was, and how cosy it was, despite being rather small. Only on the last day did we decide to check and see what was out the back door of the kitchen, only to open it and find the cottage was twice the size downstairs because of the extra rooms.

Just didn't seem that important when you've got the river Wye running a mere 20 yards from you and a gorgeous pub the other side and a singing ferryman to pull you across the water.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 pm

On our way to fishing, we pass through Ludlow, so decided to have a look into the Ludlow Food Centre, on the outskirts of town. http://www.ludlowfoodcentre.co.uk/Content.aspx?ID=1

Very impressive produce, mainly all from the large estate, their own, meat, dairy produce all being made on site and such like. Lovely pies..... :porkie:
Need deep pockets to buy anything, but a treat is a treat, well worth stopping off for poke about if ever you pass that way.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:47 pm

A car pulled up yesterday and Ben came out with a cardboard box. 6 female Japanese quail he had bred, he promised them all year but never supplied, so turns up out of the blue with a box of birds, that's Ben :text-runforthehills: Dashed about preparing the hutch and popped them in, very quiet birds.

Point of lay, he says, but of course they need 14 hours+ of daylight to lay, hmmmm :greedyfish: . I think they need a few more weeks and have ordered some led strip lights to try and stimulate laying, probably not the correct light waves (or whatever you call it) but worth a punt.
I shall update if we have an egg before Christmas :text-nocomment:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:14 am

My wife has always wanted a quince tree, on her "Bucket List" of wants as it takes her back to childhood and mother making quince jam/jelly.
So when we came here 6 years ago, her mother treated her to a tree which we planted with it's feet in the water - which apparently they like. The tree has done well, last year is blossomed and looked promising, but a frost had the lot and we ended with a single quince.
But this season it has excelled itself and there is a bumper crop.
IMG_0172 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0176 (Medium).JPG

Now starting to fall off and being harvested, last night she made quince cheese or membrillo for the first time, have to say it's pretty good ;-) and there is jam or jelly on the go (not sure which, but the whole house smells of quince), and a neighbour has just been round for some.

I'm only surprised quince is not more popular, it is a wonderful flavour, but I guess too much trouble for most people?
We also have a medlar tree with the first small crop on it, that will be next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:20 pm

A different day yesterday, I have always walked and run on the hills a lot, I love the hills and wild landscapes of Wales, but I have not been a racer for many years preferring the solitude of a lone day out. Saturday I decided to do a fell race in the Beacons, Fan Fawr from Storey Arms.
It was short and brutal, about a mile up with 1000ft climb, round the cairn on top and a mile down again, the shortest race in the winter league calendar. But horrible and painful.
What can I say was enjoyable - absolutely nothing - except I ran better than expected and now feel great at what I achieved. A warm glow that a knackered old pensioner can still get up there and back whilst showing many a youngster a clean pair of heels :oldmanrant: .
I may even do another one next month, or not.
Fishing next week I hope.

Catfish017
Lurker, beginner, prospect?
Lurker, beginner, prospect?

Postby Catfish017 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 am

Mr Mole wrote:My wife has always wanted a quince tree, on her "Bucket List" of wants as it takes her back to childhood and mother making quince jam/jelly.
So when we came here 6 years ago, her mother treated her to a tree which we planted with it's feet in the water - which apparently they like. The tree has done well, last year is blossomed and looked promising, but a frost had the lot and we ended with a single quince.
But this season it has excelled itself and there is a bumper crop.
IMG_0172 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0176 (Medium).JPG

Now starting to fall off and being harvested, last night she made quince cheese or membrillo for the first time, have to say it's pretty good ;-) and there is jam or jelly on the go (not sure which, but the whole house smells of quince), and a neighbour has just been round for some.

I'm only surprised quince is not more popular, it is a wonderful flavour, but I guess too much trouble for most people?
We also have a medlar tree with the first small crop on it, that will be next.

I planted a quince about ten years ago, bought from Godshills Nursery on the Isle of Wight (tremendous range of tree fruit and good service) .Unfortunately this sample came with some kind of leaf disease and I lost the first two years growth. I was on the point of grubbing it up but tried cutting it right back to the trunk and two main branches. It looked like a giant catapult in the lawn! Happily it did the trick, disease disappeared and we get a good crop each year, particularly this year which seems to have suited all the tree fruit. The quince has such an unique aroma and flavour as you say it's a shame people miss out on this. I think it's probably the preparation that people find a chore, you do need a bloody machete to chop the things!
"Nature is our only true touchstone" Maurice Wiggin.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am

She picked them this weekend, total of 42lbs which I think is enough for everyone and they are being distributed through the village :cheesy_mouse:

Already been talked into a "Quince evening dinner party", I think this may be a slight overindulgence but sure I shall eat everything on my plate - as normal. I do fancy the lamb and quince tagine recipes which appeal, we have a traditional Moroccan tagine which I use outside on a charcoal burner so will soon be giving that a go. Have you any recommendations out side of the normal jams, jellies, stewed quince & apple etc?

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:28 am

Mr Mole wrote:Already been talked into a "Quince evening dinner party",

You could include some sequince dancing.

satt2006
10 bob's worth
10 bob's worth

Postby satt2006 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:40 pm

With some Quincy Jones music.

Return to “Beyond the Rabbit Proof Fence”