Odds and Sods.

All things not strictly fishing as such. Including but not limited to: ISIHAC, cricket, food, single malts, accommodation, proper beer, shiraz, proper tea made in a teapot, cakes, pies...you get the idea.
JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Odds and Sods.

Postby JAA » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:49 pm

As Christmas has reared it over early head, Quince pies :sliceopie: :cool:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm

JAA wrote:As Christmas has reared it over early head, Quince pies :sliceopie: :cool:

I see that heading for a Christmas cracker joke, somehow :text-runforthehills:

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 pm

:punning stunt: All these dreadful puns make me qwince :get-coat:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 am

WE WON........ :text-bowdown: :text-bowdown:

Tree of the year competition, Wales entry. Not us personally, but our good friends down the road whose tree it is, currently on holiday abroad so we are looking after the tree and their goats and pony and 50+ ducks (Christmas dinner sorted). The Muscovy ducks nest up the tree and inside it.

The poor old tree needs some work on it, which is what the prize money will go towards. The BBC had contacted them to go on "The one show" (never watched it) on Wednesday but they had left for their holiday at the weekend. So a photographer turned up instead, unfortunately it was Friday morning in the middle of the big storm, piddling down and blowing a gale, so he couldn't even get his drone off the ground - hence not a lot in the way of pics!

Anyway, here it is, the village Pwllpriddog Oak, scroll down the link to Wales winner, and I hope you will all vote for it in the final... :teasing-poke:

https://news.sky.com/story/which-arbore ... r-11528394

Haydn
Really really old war-horse
Really really old war-horse

Postby Haydn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 pm

It looks a great tree that Mr Mole.

A tree not too far from where I am was entered a few years ago - the Ickwell oak - but I don't think it won. Not nearly as old as yours but still a magnificent tree, and it's on the village green and cricket pitch too. A real center piece to a really lovely Bedfordshire village.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 pm

That's a lovely tree, great shape and stands out proud in a classic English oak way.
We had S4C filming here on Tuesday, so I beggered off grayling fishing and left SWMBO to direct proceedings with them, good move.

Today we had a visit from NRW, the coal authority and a welsh mine society bloke. They are doing a sort of "risk assessment" on the old mine workings behind us and the water backed up under the hill. Very interesting, maybe 20 miles of historical tunnels under the mountain, which holds a lot of water, and if it blows :text-runforthehills:

I might have wrangled a trip underground sometime, not exactly on my bucket list :Beammeup: but a little poke about would be great. A bit more history of the village and a rare insight into people who actually enjoy digging out old mines tunnels and sloshing about flooded admits.
Strange as anglers.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 am

Took the free train to Swansea yesterday to look at bikes, ended up buying a new one, yikes they cost a lot :text-givebeer:
Have to pick it up later this week and then start peddling around the hills, quite excited.
Also did Swansea market and stocked up with laver bread and other culinary treats, laver bread and cockles with a fresh egg on top for breakfast this morning :thumbs-up:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Driving through Craven Arms to go fishing I noticed pheasants hanging outside a butchers shop, £1 a brace :thumbs-up: . Coming home 3 days later I pulled in and loaded up with 5 brace, an early Christmas present for my wife - not sure I shall get away with that one! But she is bravely working through the plucking and dressing, ate one last night and the rest going in the freezer.

After 20 years of beating on shoots we have had an endless supply of free pheasant, partridge, duck, but now we have given up (travelling too far) it left a hole in the freezer. We miss our roast pheasant in the winter. But at 50p a bird I can hardly complain, good quality birds too and he let me chose them from the rack. Nearly free food for anyone that can be bothered to pluck and dress them, unfortunately most people would prefer a sterile chicken breast wrapped in plastic from the supermarket :oldmanrant: .

So if you are passing through Craven Arms, grab some cheap birds for Christmas

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Mr Mole wrote:Driving through Craven Arms to go fishing I noticed pheasants hanging outside a butchers shop, £1 a brace :thumbs-up: .

I'd've taken a few of those I think, I get a few brace most years form a local pal, although I'm lazy and fillet out the breast meat and bury the rest!

I make a casserole with them, red wine, stock, mushrooms, onions, carrots...damn, going to have to go to the local butchers now. :cool:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 pm

One of the great pleasures of being retired is when having a cold. Waking up this morning with a sore throat and sniffles (and it is raining), I know I don't have to force myself off to work for a miserable day shoveling assorted pills into my mouth.

Instead, a cup of tea in bed, woodburner on, decent book, large bottle of whiskey for later - life is bearable with the man-flu when retired.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:44 pm

I spoke too soon, third day of horrendous sore throat and feeling thoughrouly fed up, last night I poured a large :text-whiskeyglass: for bed and couldn't drink any of it due to soreness. How sad is that?
But today notification came of my £100 winter fuel allowance, plus my wife gets equivalent, should purchase plenty of 2 stroke petrol ........and maggots and floats and line and :spamcan1:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Mr Mole wrote:I spoke too soon, third day of horrendous sore throat and feeling thoughrouly fed up, last night I poured a large :text-whiskeyglass: for bed and couldn't drink any of it due to soreness. How sad is that?
But today notification came of my £100 winter fuel allowance, plus my wife gets equivalent, should purchase plenty of 2 stroke petrol ........and maggots and floats and line and :spamcan1:

My employer offers a free flu-jab, and this year I took it! :thumbs-up:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:29 am

The 5 geese went off for slaughter on Sunday and this morning we have a lovely plucked and dressed one in the fridge. All that feeding and caring (remembering to shut them away each night) and watching them grow in the field beside us seems worthwhile.
It should be for Christmas dinner, but plans have changed and probably not this time. Perhaps an Easter goose instead.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Wales quietest railway station is just up the line from us. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46209535
We always think it a bit of a joke round here, why would anyone go there? Very good friends Peter and Margaret have looked after it for years, tending the station and flowers much to our amusement, and now everyone wants to go to Sugar Loaf and P & M are famous.

No more jokes at their expense :text-nocomment:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:52 pm

A very grim month of lurgy has knocked us both about badly, nothing achieved and no energy - but light at the end of the tunnel - a badly blocked drain under the floor yesterday was the icing on the Christmas cake :text-nocomment: .

My wife helps out sometimes in a local antique center and noticed a couple of new rough built (after a fashion) cane rods come in, the owner said he has a load of this cane blanks, cork handles, rings in his storage unit, but no idea what to do with them :idea:
I saw him for 5 minutes and after Christmas will go have a look "I've got about 1000 of these cane bits" he was going to put the rod blanks through the shop for £5 each, want to shift them.
I have no idea of the provinence, he says there are no names but thinks they all came from a clear out somewhere around London.

Watch this space!!!

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:09 pm

I'm sure you'll have lots of space-watchers!

Get well soon.

Merry Christmas one and all and a rod-bendingly good New Year.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:19 pm

My wife has an uncle, the last of the family aunts/uncles, he is aged 92, a widower and lived in the same house in Mosley for about 60 years.
He is in good physical condition and 100% mentally with it ( if a little grumpy). On Christmas day he spent the day with family, some burglars ransacked his house and then torched it.
He has nothing left, no home, no nothing, all gone.
He was a very keen angler in his day and the few times I ever met him we talked fishing, he knew his stuff.
Such is life, even in our 90s we are vulnerable to societies underbelly.

Leigh
Very nearly a member now ;-)
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby Leigh » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am

Mr Mole, that's not good news - My Great Aunt lives in London who is also in her mid 90's she was recently scammed at the front door by someone claiming to be from the water board who took advantage once he had gained entry. I'm still really angry about this.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Sad day in the valley, a good friend was killed last night, only a youngster in his 30s. A couple of close friends coming back from town found him in the road with his overturned quad bike at 10.30pm, multiple injuries and died this morning, no chance. Good fisherman and we went out together a few times, puts all our little problems in the shade.
We have to support his elderly father who lives next door to us, looking after his farm animals, there won't be any fishing for a while.

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 pm

Sad news indeed, Mr Mole, very sorry to hear it.

Return to “Beyond the Rabbit Proof Fence”