Odds and Sods.

All things not strictly fishing as such. Including but not limited to: ISIHAC, cricket, food, single malts, accommodation, proper beer, shiraz, proper tea made in a teapot, cakes, pies...you get the idea.
JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Odds and Sods.

Postby JAA » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:52 am

Sorry to hear that Mr. Mole.
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Funerals can be difficult events, depending on so many variables, and nowadays my suit which came out for weddings seems only worn for funerals.

So on Friday we buried our friend, having been a great sadness over the village since his untimely death, he was one of those people who touched many. His father had a plot in the chapel up the valley, the plot was for him but he put his son in their instead "so I can visit him", but they dug the hole deep so father will eventually go on top of his son.

The chapel is remote, plain and Spartan, no stained windows and not even electricity. A couple of candles only for lighting. We were honoured to be taken into the chapel with family and close friends for the service, whilst several hundred stood outside in the cold January rain. My wife and sister had done some simple floral decorations - no flowers - all foliage from hill and hedgrow, winter colours for a countryman.
Someone brought an organ/keyboard and battery pack, but the feedback meant it could not be used so no music accompaniment, but the first hymn sung in Welsh was beautiful and set the tone.

After the coffin was lowered there was silence and the local huntsman blew his horn 3 times, choking on the final blow. A final tribute to a special man whose life ended in his prime. A very simple but moving ceremony. Now we must all move on, but he will never be forgotten in this generation.

satt2006
10 bob's worth
10 bob's worth

Postby satt2006 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:36 am

Thank you for sharing these deeply touching moments, Mr. Mole, Sir.

Bobthefloat
Transient
Transient

Postby Bobthefloat » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Very sad news indeed Mr Mole my deepest condolences sir :text-hat-tip:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:55 pm

A long weekend spent down on the Kent border, Newenden, with my wife's cousin. Another funeral to attend, this time for the foreman of the farm where she spent her childhood.

A total change of countryside from home, a walk along the Rother hardly inspired me to fish (no intention of fishing), cold, flat, featureless, I suppose it is what we are used to, beauty and opportunity being in the eye of the beholder. But it was hard to imagine on a grey February day looking at the brown, cold water and flooded fields.

On the Sunday we had a walk over the farm in Iden where she was born and spent her childhood, she showed me the small farm ponds where she first fished for tiddler roach and rudd and the pond that held a jack pike, a monster for a child of the 50s. Now the ponds are overgrown with rushes and scrub, no more. This was a nostalgic walk into her past full of childhood memories and emotion, for the last time she walked the farm and put ghosts to rest.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:16 pm

We have Ash dieback disease grabbing hold of our trees in the little wood, so in the winter decided to have 3 trees out - also restock the wood pile as a bonus. They needed a winch out into the field, save them landing on my sheds, so got a local farmer in with his old tractor and winch to help out. He used to be a forester and does all the felling jobs round the village, so with a couple of friends up from Sussex to help us clear up we tackled it yesterday, in glorious sunshine.

Turned out quite a big job, as I added another tree to the list and have today just finished clearing the field and bonfiring. All knackered and headed for pub soon :coupla_beers:
But plenty of firewood to last a couple of years - once I have it split and stacked!
IMG_0203 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0201 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0207 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0209 (Medium).JPG

The sheep were helping, but may end up as roast lamb on the bonfire if they don't watch out. Will be baked potatoes in the embers for tomorrow lunch ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:11 pm

Mr Mole wrote:We have Ash dieback disease grabbing hold of our trees in the little wood, so in the winter decided to have 3 trees out - also restock the wood pile as a bonus. They needed a winch out into the field, save them landing on my sheds, so got a local farmer in with his old tractor and winch to help out. He used to be a forester and does all the felling jobs round the village, so with a couple of friends up from Sussex to help us clear up we tackled it yesterday, in glorious sunshine.

Turned out quite a big job, as I added another tree to the list and have today just finished clearing the field and bonfiring. All knackered and headed for pub soon :coupla_beers:
But plenty of firewood to last a couple of years - once I have it split and stacked!

The sheep were helping, but may end up as roast lamb on the bonfire if they don't watch out. Will be baked potatoes in the embers for tomorrow lunch ;-)

Other forums often have a 'like' button, which I find myself missing when you post Mr. Mole :text-hat-tip:

I shall have to upgrade the forum code one of these days. :computer_madness:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm

Update on the baked potatoes, absolutely the best ever. The wives went shopping so John and I wrapped 4 big spuds in foil and into yesterdays embers, spot on cooking. Sat outside eating them with butter and cheese when our good wives returned, both believing we would be far to incompetent to cook them without reducing to charcoal.

Why does food cooked and eaten outside :home-fire: always taste better???

satt2006
10 bob's worth
10 bob's worth

Postby satt2006 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:06 am

Maybe because deep down inside we meet our ancestors when we doing so??!? (probably pure romanticism)

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:31 pm

The end of river fishing is fast approaching and the outlook here is depressing. It is still teeming down with rain and very cold. The forecast is for hail showers coming in and the first dry day on 20th March, they have been known to get a forecast wrong but there is nothing encouraging about it.

A last trip out is highly unlikely, I could put up with a short hour or two on the bank but no prolonged session, which it has to be with the distances involved, plus the rivers will be carrying several feet of freezing cold floodwater. So the camper van is booked in for service and the dreaded MOT (she is over 20 year old) and I have to accept it is over.

A few short weeks and the trout rod comes out, given a warm few days and I can sit beside a pond somewhere and watch a float, too late for a decent :perca fluviatilis: though.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:19 am

I see that Redmire Estate is advertised in this week's Country Life magazine - with "world renowned Redmire carp angling lake".
Have to give it a miss, as £3.25 million is a little much for some glorified gudgeon fishing lol .

Barbulus
Lurker, beginner, prospect?
Lurker, beginner, prospect?

Postby Barbulus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:28 pm

Well £ 3.25 M. seems rather a lot on the face of it ...Estate and Farmland .................my friend here in Devon has had advertised .75 miles of fishing on the Exe ...no fish records for ten years .....to say it needed work and love and attention would be at best reasonable ..... it was on for offers over £ 120 K ............ nothing for two years.......it sold last week for 65 K ............. so ......... I wish all concerned the best and in many respects for admittedly slightly sentimental reasons ...... hope that Redmire is not fished for a generation or more ........ there you go .... please no "trolling". It is just a view. Eeeeeek ! :cool:

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:09 pm

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 am

Have you made an offer yet, Weyfarer? :cool:

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:50 pm

GarryProcter wrote:Have you made an offer yet, Weyfarer? :cool:

I'm the seller Old Bean.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:36 pm

If the pond was big enough to get my jet ski on, I would have it off you :idea:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:41 pm

This is a lovely time of year, with everything kick started after a long winter and new life showing all around. The first migrants have arrived, gardens and woodlands have colour and breeding is in full swing. Whether you are a fish or a thrush.

All that breeding brings extra mouths to feed and a surge of hormones for males of all species. The trio of bantams escaped this week and the cockerel squared up to Rocky Rooster, who has many wives and is twice the bantams size. Found the next day there was much blood but no noticeable harm done, though bantam seemed to have fared better - he kicked Rocky's a**e as I keep reminding him :text-runforthehills: . Bantams back in their pen they are still squaring up and willy waving, but with a wire fence between the.

Foxes are being a pest with lambing, my neighbor lost 7 lambs in a few days and was distraught, he doesn't have a big flock and should be retired, he only just copes. I spent a couple of early morning sitting with the rifle but saw nothing, then some others caught up with it, a 3 legged vixen which opened up was full of wool and eggs. Almost certainly the culprit, the eggs probably stolen from our friends ducks that nest all over. Unfortunately there is still another fox killing in some other fields.

The 6 ducks here free range but the pests come down through our garden sometimes, I looked over this afternoon to see one swallowing a foot long slow worm, I was too late to rescue it unfortunately. Not the first time this has happened, both chickens and ducks eat anything given the chance, free range is a nice idea, but don't expect anything else to survive on the land.

watermole+
Very nearly a member now ;-)
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby watermole+ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:27 pm

Your posts are so beautifully and thoughtfully written Mr.Mole.. :text-hat-tip:

So much so that it almost seems to be an intrusion to anyone to write anything else here..

It would make wonderful reading for everyone if JAA could set up a sort-of 'Country Diary' page for you..? -with your consent of course.

Yours respectfully,

wm+
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:57 am

Thank you for those kind words, I just scribble what goes through my head, I can't claim any thought behind my posts and certainly no proof reading - hence random sentences and dubious punctuation.

Please anyone join in with anything, what you may think boring or too normal to mention (everyday life) can be of interest to others, because we are all different.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 pm

I wonder, Mr Mole, if you've read this book; Fisher in the Hills: A Season in Galloway by Robin Ade. His lifestyle comes across as similar your own.

Return to “Beyond the Rabbit Proof Fence”