Mudlarking

...or 'Bibliophages' Corner'...a place to post book review(s) and add a poll if you wish. (The poll set-up is under the forum post box when you start a thread.)
Haydn
Really really old war-horse
Really really old war-horse

Mudlarking

Postby Haydn » Fri May 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Currently reading Mudlarking - Lost And Found On The River Thames by Lara Maiklem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mudlarking-Sun ... 474&sr=8-1

Obviously not quite fishing but not that dissimilar either and certainly of interest to those with an interest in the riverine environment and the history of those living on or around the Thames. Maiklem details her fascinating finds and investigations into all sorts of weird and wonderful items the river gives up from its murky depths from the tidal head at Teddington down to the estuary. She finds everything from the ubiquitous clay pipes and fragments of Roman roof tiles and pottery to lost Georgian jewellery, Tudor shoes, glass eyes, bombs, guns and countless other lost or discarded things.

This Short Ted talk gives a good idea of what the book is about. It’s well worth a read and if I lived a little nearer I’d be well inclined to get my wellies on and join the other Mudlarks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uein6tk-wbU

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mudlarking

Postby JAA » Sun May 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Fascinating stuff, I'm an inveterate ground watcher, a habit learned in Cyprus where Roman coins (among others) were to be found with relative ease (I still have some of them). In my local fields I've picked up all sorts of odds and sods, sea-urchin fossils, half a flint axe-head, flint thumb scrapers, many micro-liths, several coins, a cartwheel penny, the latest a 1912 h/penny, a couple of un recognisable coins (bronze), a couple of pieces of bronze plate, several bits of what appear to be iron age pottery and last week half an iron pyrites nodule (not uncommon in chalk).

If I lived near such a river, I'd be mudlarking it...
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

Return to “The Sloping Bookshelf”