Odds and Sods.

All things not strictly fishing as such. Including but not limited to: ISIHAC, cricket, food, single malts, accommodation, proper beer, shiraz, proper tea made in a teapot, cakes, pies...you get the idea.
Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Re: Odds and Sods.

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Weyfarer wrote:I wonder, Mr Mole, if you've read this book; Fisher in the Hills: A Season in Galloway by Robin Ade. His lifestyle comes across as similar your own.

Hadn't come across it, but a quick "Google" (is google now a verb in the dictionary?) looks interesting, probably go on the birthday/Christmas list. Thanks for the heads up on that one but fear my lifestyle totally lacks his ability with a paintbrush.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:45 pm

I took a wander over the hills from home last week, a pleasant few hours out on the uplands, dropping down into a valley and back up again, a circular route of around 15 miles and one of my standby favourites. There isn't a lot there at this time of year, but it is coming alive slowly as birds move in to nest and the grass and vegetation come back.
We are the southern end of the Cambrian mountains referred to as "The green desert", it is fairly empty but we like it that way and it has a charm of it's own, nothing spectacular but plenty of open air and space and a lack of habitation and people. So this time I took the camera and did a few snaps to give an idea of where I live. So here I am on top,
IMG_0212 (Medium).JPG

A mile or so further along there is the start of a stream, little more than some water coming out of the peat

IMG_0215 (Medium).JPG

and in this puddle, about 18 months ago (autumn spawning time) I came across a little brownie, perhaps 6 inches long, he had made his way up here from the valleys below, up through this
IMG_0216 (Medium).JPG

to find the perfect partner and spawning ground. I am not sure how it went!

On the far side of the hills are the old standing stones
IMG_0221 (Medium).JPG
and in the distance the Towy forest stretches away, home to our last red squirrels. Unfortunately the 30 year forestry cycle has come around with many of the trees maturing and being felled all over, pity they never thought to stagger them all those years ago.

And finally I come off the hills and back into the Towy valley and home in the village, I'm in the middle of this
IMG_0222 (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun May 26, 2019 10:29 am

Home again at last yesterday, absolutely knackered after 8 days away but itching to get out with a rod again.

Travelled down the spine of Wales as a volunteer marshal on the Dragons Back race:
http://www.berghausdragonsbackrace.com/latest-news/

This was my 4th time marshalling and probably last - time to hand the hard work over to the younger generation - I have always thought it important to try and put something back into the sports and pass times that we enjoy whatever they are, and once retired with time on my hands giving a little back seems appropriate. Many do it with fishing, encouraging and helping youngsters or those less fortunate and so it should be.

It is always a very emotional event with many runners breaking and dreams falling apart after a year of sacrifice and training whilst others make it through to the finish and receive their dragon trophy. A chance for us to show off Welsh landscape in all its glory, to entrants from 31 nations around the world, incredibly it did not rain - they must think this is usual Welsh weather!

Time to head for the shed, poke some floats and make some plans :test-smileyfishing:

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Some guinea fowl eggs we purchased from Hereford market and stuck under a broody hen started hatching today (3 so far, 7 to go hopefully), I spent the day in a panic building suitable accommodation for them all :text-portablecloud:: , more to do tomorrow.
They should be our Christmas dinner this year if all goes to plan, but there is a long way to go

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 am

My first red squirrel and pine marten on camera from the forestry above the village, 1/2 mile from my house :thumbs-up:
IMG_0117 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0066 (Medium).JPG

Result after many years work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Mr Mole wrote:My first red squirrel and pine marten on camera from the forestry above the village, 1/2 mile from my house :thumbs-up:
IMG_0117 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0066 (Medium).JPG

Result after many years work.

Excellent Mr. Mole, thank you for those. :thumbs-up:
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Wonderful!.I havent seen either.Visited Brownsea island a couple of times in the hope of seeing a red squirrel.No luck.My sons girlfriend took her mother to Browsea for a few hours out a couple of weeks ago.And took some very nice pictures of..........Red squirrels banghead.gif
Ring a ring a roses a pocketful of posies atishoo,atishoo we all fall down.

Grumpalump
must get out more
must get out more

Postby Grumpalump » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Try the Isle of Wight - there's (at least) one hide where tapping a hazelnut on the sill of the hatch will produce them faster than a fistful of hempseed produces roach. Can't remember the name of the place, and it was a decade ago, but I'm pretty sure the situation is still good.
Wonderful pictures, Mr Mole, though I do hope the marten is earning his keep by keeping the greys at bay!

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 pm

A very close friend phoned up yesterday full of excitement, she had won £30k on the postcode lottery.
What would I do with £30k? More :porkie: :sliceopie: :text-whiskeyglass: :__]: :coupla_beers: :text-cherry-cake: :bacnon'n'eggs: :text cuppa:

And :spamcan1:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Mr Mole wrote:A very close friend phoned up yesterday full of excitement, she had won £30k on the postcode lottery.
What would I do with £30k? More :porkie: :sliceopie: :text-whiskeyglass: :__]: :coupla_beers: :text-cherry-cake: :bacnon'n'eggs: :text cuppa:

And :spamcan1:

I couldn't retire on that, so I think I'd start a pension for my kids with it... :text-hat-tip: :cool:

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:36 pm

I've got ten really good fishing mates but we are widely dispersed and rarely can we arrange a meet-up. If I was single I would splash out the whole £30K on a once in a lifetime lads only big fish exotic location - Patagonia trout, Canadian salmon, Kenyan sailfish, Cuban bonefish, Arctic grayling....who knows where.

As I am married I'd take the wife out for a slap up fish and chips.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:03 pm

Weyfarer wrote:I've got ten really good fishing mates but we are widely dispersed and rarely can we arrange a meet-up. If I was single I would splash out the whole £30K on a once in a lifetime lads only big fish exotic location - Patagonia trout, Canadian salmon, Kenyan sailfish, Cuban bonefish, Arctic grayling....who knows where.

As I am married I'd take the wife out for a slap up fish and chips.

I like that idea, though I could never rustle up 10 friends, never mind all anglers :text-dratdrat:
In fact, much of her £30k will go towards her daughter's first house. Very sensible decision, and hopefully she may get around to actually marrying her partner - at last.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Well, this is a quiet week. No planes, no cars, no motorbikes,, no fishing. Wine rack diminishing but whisky stocks bouyant, sun shining and Gladys the goose has started sitting today. I think, but she is a first time mum so who knows with the modern generation, flighty girls.
Memo to self, put note in diary when to call the midwife.

Congratulations on the only forum not to mention the *****, let's get through this without it :oldmanrant:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 am

At the rate things are going I will not be fishing until opening day, and I have only got out once this year so far. We're lucky in that we live in a relatively remote hamlet with a down in front of us. My employers just put me on a formal three-month furlough, so I can catch up with reading, some low key research, and do a bit in the garden. My next mission is to locate a compost delivery service...

gloucesteroldspot
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby gloucesteroldspot » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:13 pm

My grandfather benefited from a free (neigh charge) compost delivery service years ago. They used to drop it off outside the front of his cottage regular as clockwork, though he had to be quick off the mark or his opposite neighbour Solly would be out with a shovel...

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 pm

gloucesteroldspot wrote:My grandfather benefited from a free (neigh charge) compost delivery service years ago. They used to drop it off outside the front of his cottage regular as clockwork, though he had to be quick off the mark or his opposite neighbour Solly would be out with a shovel...

Gramp called that "Horse's Doofers".

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 pm

JAA wrote: My next mission is to locate a compost delivery service...

We have a small garden at home though run a plant nursery with our son.He is keeping the nursery on tick over while us two old fogeys stay at home.Luckliy he dropped a few bags of compost for us so we plan to grow more vegetables this summer.We will eek it out with stuff from a plastic compost bin that has not been emptied for 4 or 5 years.Aparently delivery services are still ok for the moment so you might be in luck JAA.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:24 pm

We (my wife) had a big delivery of compost bags this week, actually shared between 3 of us in the village which seemed sensible, both for seeds and growing things like tomotoes in. Have plenty of organic compost as we've got a deccent sized 2 year compost heap which everything goes on (and the sloworms live in it). Also no shortage of chicken, duck, goose poo when we clean the pens and hutches out.
She normally collects loads of fallen leaves in the autumn and composts that in a container, makes good stuff.

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:11 am

A 1.3 litre bottle of Tomorite came today.I would never have thought of ordering this on line before.I am very pleased to have it.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:07 pm

champ wrote:A 1.3 litre bottle of Tomorite came today.I would never have thought of ordering this on line before.I am very pleased to have it.

I've still got some from last year, and as 'zero' of my tomato seeds sprouted (I gave up after 12 days) and the seeds I've ordered haven't arrived, it looks like I'm going to not grow any for the first time in about 20 years. Dammit. :text-portablecloud::

Return to “Beyond the Rabbit Proof Fence”