Anyone been out today? Part II...

"Post your fishing stories" and members' comments. Clean ones only. Erudition not required. Which is lucky.
Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Re: Anyone been out today? Part II...

Postby Weyfarer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:50 pm

I tried a new pin on a new stretch of the Stour this afternoon. Just two fish both on float fished flake.

DSC04461.JPG

DSC04462.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
After rather aimlessly spinning a phantom across a few places in the muddy current, I returned to tiffin and another bottle of the excellent Bordeaux.
Halcyon, George Brennand 1947

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Trailblazer wrote:
DaceAce wrote:
Weyfarer wrote:Well done TB, rather better than my first day out in 2020. I should have fished the Stour which was looking in good order but my heart was set on the Nadder where the EA gauge showed the level to be pretty good. Alas the level was reasonably good but the pace of the river was pretty damn quick. Here it is:

So I gave up that idea and headed a few miles south to the Avon at Fordingbridge were I hoped a backwater would offer at least a bit of sport. Well, that idea fell flat too. What can you do when it looks like this?

The Stour was definitely the best bet. Yesterday I toyed with fishing somewhere in the Sturminster area but baulked at the drive and wind that might be a downstreamer for where I had in mind. I made the shorter journey to the Stour near home and found the river in good trim with less colour than I would have liked, and fished the opposite bank to where I was on Monday. An angler was fishing maggots in one good area but struggling so I left him to it and found a swim a bit further upriver about 60 yards below another angler who was also fishing maggots and also not catching. As with Monday I used Gros Gardons and bread punch on a 16 this time, only needing a 10BB Avon float with the steadier flow. I started to worry the river wasn't going to respond as it was half an hour before my first roach. After an hour I'd had a dozen up to a pound and it was looking promising when a big pike took a roach and eventually bit through the line. That killed the swim. By now the angler below had moved much further down river so I moved to fish the swim above where he'd been. This was much better and I soon got amongst the roach with another three over a pound and plenty upwards of 12oz as well as smaller ones, finishing with 60 roach in total in three hours fishing. I did some more videoing just to get more footage to play around with.

Mark, I viewed your videos on youtube and noticed the rivers your fishing looked quite small and sluggish, and with you only trotting a short distance I would have thought a stickfloat would have been ideal ?
I noticed you have replaced the stick floats and started to use quite large /heavy avon floats....have you finally seen the light ?
I fish some quite large powerful spate rivers that require me to use bolo floats from 2 to 6 or even 8 grames and would have thought at most a 3 grame avon would be adequate on your chosen waters?
\

If the video you watched was the Sturminster one then the flow is deceptive as there was an upstream skimming wind that slowed the top down a lot but underneath it was pulling quite well hence the 3AAA (2.5 grams) crowquill Avon which was ideal for the presentation I wanted as you have to steady the bait - sometimes when the wind really blew it stopped the float. I've found that stick floats don't work with the punch for some reason. That's the upper Stour so mostly fairly small (within a mile of that spot it can be a third the width) although often very deep. I've long used Avons up to 12BB on the Stour and last week on Monday used a 4.5 SSG (7 grams) swan quill Avon on the river at Wimborne (60 yards wide and 13ft deep) when it was pulling very strongly with the weir paddles wide open. In summer at Sturminster it hardly moves at all and that stretch is weeded up with lilies and weed. On Thurday at Wimborne the flow was better and I used a 10BB Avon in 11ft of water about 20 yards out.

It's quite good fun doing the videoing (I need a cameraman, frustrating as the best fishing cameraman in the UK lives a mile from me!) as I see my mistakes; as a match angler I was a team selector so often got to watch other anglers to see whether they'd make the team or to help them improve. On Thursday due to the depth I would lift out a fish with the float near the rod tip but fail to drop the float down so it kept tangling round the rod tip before I could recast; that said the actual fishing was deadly as I was getting a roach every cast, just gently putting the bait into the fishes' mouth. The Bolo floats are too crude for the roach fishing and designing my own Avons is better; just started making some yesterday that use a hollow pole float tip in 3mm instead of painted crow quill as this shows really well as I've been using wagglers with these tips for about a year in 2, 2.5 and 3mm. The biggest problem videoing at Sturminster is the traffic noise at that junction of two A roads.

Trailblazer
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby Trailblazer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:58 pm

Weyfarer wrote:I tried a new pin on a new stretch of the Stour this afternoon. Just two fish both on float fished flake.

DSC04461.JPG

DSC04462.JPG

Nice new pin and a good way to christen it Wayfarer :).

I did a bit of trotting today myself, just the same kinda result as my recent trips out .

Last edited by Trailblazer on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:06 pm

DaceAce wrote:[
If the video you watched was the Sturminster one then the flow is deceptive as there was an upstream skimming wind that slowed the top down a lot but underneath it was pulling quite well hence the 3AAA (2.5 grams) crowquill Avon which was ideal for the presentation I wanted as you have to steady the bait - sometimes when the wind really blew it stopped the float. I've found that stick floats don't work with the punch for some reason. That's the upper Stour so mostly fairly small (within a mile of that spot it can be a third the width) although often very deep. I've long used Avons up to 12BB on the Stour and last week on Monday used a 4.5 SSG (7 grams) swan quill Avon on the river at Wimborne (60 yards wide and 13ft deep) when it was pulling very strongly with the weir paddles wide open. In summer at Sturminster it hardly moves at all and that stretch is weeded up with lilies and weed. On Thurday at Wimborne the flow was better and I used a 10BB Avon in 11ft of water about 20 yards out.

It's quite good fun doing the videoing (I need a cameraman, frustrating as the best fishing cameraman in the UK lives a mile from me!) as I see my mistakes; as a match angler I was a team selector so often got to watch other anglers to see whether they'd make the team or to help them improve. On Thursday due to the depth I would lift out a fish with the float near the rod tip but fail to drop the float down so it kept tangling round the rod tip before I could recast; that said the actual fishing was deadly as I was getting a roach every cast, just gently putting the bait into the fishes' mouth. The Bolo floats are too crude for the roach fishing and designing my own Avons is better; just started making some yesterday that use a hollow pole float tip in 3mm instead of painted crow quill as this shows really well as I've been using wagglers with these tips for about a year in 2, 2.5 and 3mm. The biggest problem videoing at Sturminster is the traffic noise at that junction of two A roads.

Bolo floats come in various guises and I don't get why they're to crude for roach?.....i've caught countless roach using bolo floats.
If you check out the cadence videos (just as an example) Mr Robins and his friends often use bolo floats for roach and dace.
I have numerous avon floats and have used them for many years, once I started to us a bolo float which we all know is just a slight variation on an avon I rarely use the avons anymore.
If you have a spare one of your avon floats i'd be willing to try in out next to one of my bolo floats and see if it feels better than the bolo :).

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:52 am

The only Bolo floats I see are online and the ones I have are old (15 years?) MAP Dave Harrell ones of 3 to 5 grams. I design my Avons for the fishing I do so they are very specific to the swims I fish on the Stour and part of the satisfaction of fishing comes from using a float you made yourself although I do use factory-made sticks and other floats at times. Although many top match anglers put their name to ranges of floats many of them also used home-made specials not available in shops. Roach bites vary from the easy to see to the ones that barely move the float and as I'm only pleasure fishing it doesn't matter how efficient I am unlike in matches. On the many Stour matches I fished using an Avon was comparatively rare except on certain stretches where bread punch and groundbait to catch roach was the only way to get a good weight, and winning usually involved a variety of species from bleak, dace and roach to chub and bream, using sticks, wagglers and the pole.

Interestingly a man local to me, Paul Loram, makes Avons that are a cross between a Bolo and an Avon using crowquills and balsa.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:17 pm

DaceAce wrote:
Interestingly a man local to me, Paul Loram, makes Avons that are a cross between a Bolo and an Avon using crowquills and balsa.

There is definately a wide variation in the shapes of bolo, avon and stick floats.

Here's a selection of my stick floats...

Last edited by Trailblazer on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:45 pm

I had a few days on the Severn last week chasing :perca fluviatilis: . The perch won.
Fished Thursday evening through till Sunday morning with float fished :animals-worm: and lures. I covered a lot of river, all the best times into dark, much of it in perfect "mild and overcast" conditions, without a sign of a perch or even a decent chub. The total fish landed were a couple of jack pike and a small chub, a few missed bites, another lost pike (on worm) but not convinced they were anything worth hooking (mangled and chewed lobworm tails etc.).
All very perplexing as to where the fish are and why we are not catching as I am far from the only angler that is struggling on the Severn. The perch seem to have done a vanishing act, somewhere there must be hundreds of whoppers - I just need a clue!

I am now scratching my head as to what to do next, a loss of confidence occurs quickly but getting it back requires fish, and plenty of them. Should I carry on chasing the perch, or switch to the upper river and big chub, or fish the Wye for pike, or stick to the float and grayling. This fishing plays hell with my decision making :Beammeup:

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:53 pm

Way down on the tidal stretch of a large river today and I had a good little trotting session. The river was too high for wading, especially in my thigh waders but I was able to cast to a nice smooth glide and mend the line well enough so as not to pull it off line. Anyhow I had quite a few chub and a number of very clean and hard fighting bream.
A few pics from the session...

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:38 am

Those waters are prolific, more heavy rain here last night and upper Severn and Wye immediately carrying 1m of extra water - sit back and wait again before I can get the trotting rods out.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Mr Mole wrote:Those waters are prolific, more heavy rain here last night and upper Severn and Wye immediately carrying 1m of extra water - sit back and wait again before I can get the trotting rods out.

Not really MM, as with most places location is key, also in my case luck pays a massive factor!
Heavy rain here again all through the night put the blockers on any float fishing in the spots on the rivers where I fish.

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:04 pm

I set out on Tuesday to fish the upper Stour again in the murk, drizzle and rain but a mile down the road decided it was so horrible to drive in that I'd drive to somewhere much closer to home than 20+ miles on bad roads and fish the middle Stour again. Walking upriver I saw a disturbance that went out of sight and I thought it was a cormorant but when I got past the building that stopped me seeing the river I saw it was the biggest otter I've ever seen. An old mate was fishing not far up and he'd just had a couple of fish on maggots. I carried on further and set up where I'd been the previous week. It started OK with a nice roach third cast but it was 30 casts later when I got the next one of 10oz and nothing after that, fishing bread punch. The water was lower and clearer than the previous week and I was wondering if it had gone hard as it does but decided to try another swim further up.

First fish in the new swim was less than an ounce and the next barely an ounce. Then one over a pound and the swim came to life with much better fish and I got them onto the Gros Gardons groundbait, finishing with 70 roach, five over a pound to 1-9 and four dace, and a bit of pike bother. The otter was on the bank at times right next to me though never went into the swim at all. The trusty 10BB Avon did the business again. I decided to try barbless hooks again, having sorted out some suitable size 14s to 0.10 and these were perfect for the job. I think in future I'm going to use barbless for all my roach fishing, saving the barbed for chub which have a habit of transferring the hook to underwater reeds or weeds. I passed my mate on the way back to the car and he'd had over 60 fish on maggots, getting far more dace in his mix than me but also some good roach.

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 am

After the heavy but brief rain on Thursday the Stour came up again but it dropped whilst retaining plenty of colour. Saturday is rowing day so I had plenty of school rowers to contend with as well as a blustery downstream wind. A brief session brought three dozen roach with three over a pound to 1-2 and a fine 8oz dace, all, as ever, on bread punch over groundbait.

I put together a video of one of the previous sessions that some might enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOiKc0tmUNk&t

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:13 pm

I had a couple of hours roaving/trotting on a dropping but mucky river for the later part of this afternoon. I was giving the 13ft sphere a test drive to compare it to the spliced tip versions I have. Anyhow, the rod was great and was pefect for trotting, infact I think I might like it more than I do the spliced!

Leigh

Postby Leigh » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:29 am

DaceAce,

It's quite good fun doing the videoing (I need a cameraman, frustrating as the best fishing cameraman in the UK lives a mile from me!)

I would be available in the summer. Let me know if you would be interested. I have the software to edit add titles etc....

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:35 am

Leigh wrote:DaceAce,

It's quite good fun doing the videoing (I need a cameraman, frustrating as the best fishing cameraman in the UK lives a mile from me!)

I would be available in the summer. Let me know if you would be interested. I have the software to edit add titles etc....

You have a PM.

Trailblazer

Postby Trailblazer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Another quick session way down on the tidal on a large river. Anyhow, I had countless dace and a good few chub. As I was slipping the net under a chub esox latched onto it and played tug of war with me for a minuite or two before releasing the chub. Luckily the chub wasn't too badly damaged and went back ok.

The chub above the two below was the one esox tried to swallow and you can see the width of it's jaws by the marks left on it....

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:22 pm

A few hard days on the Severn again, went on Tuesday and home friday, dam it was cold the first couple of days and with the frost and snow melt I shouldn't be surprised that I was struggling. I was frozen the first couple of days, took a long time to warm up back in the camper van each evening.
Went out for :perca fluviatilis: , but to cut a long story short - nothing. Hooked a couple of fish and both shed the hook before I had them on the surface, never know, a couple of missed bites, maybe perch? Saved the trip with a couple of nice winter chub on ledgered crust, :bread-fan: takes some beating for chub in the winter. Best was a chunky 41/4lb, proper winter lump and bar of silver - beauty, chub at their best now.
Couple of bite offs from pike on soft lures, on the take, one of which I had a good view from top of a high bank and in shallow water, a fish worth catching I think. Then took the hint and put on a short wire trace, obviously nothing else happened.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:46 pm

Yesterday (Friday 7th Feb) I judged the middle Hants Avon worth a visit. EA river levels and the club website indicated that at last the river was worth a long awaited trip. The river did indeed look good albeit pretty darn fast on the straights. However, there was slight colour and a good many glides that looked promising. I ran a large bodied float down the edge of the crease in a likely looking swim. No sign of snagging the bottom, so foot by foot i moved the float up the line. On the fourth swim down the float slid under and I struck into a nice chub that went 3lb 2oz. Feeling that this was going to be quite some session I fished on with eager anticipation of the next chub.

Five hours later and having tried many swims I called it a day and trudged wearily back through the partially flooded water meadows. Cuh!

DSC04545.jpg

DSC04550.jpg

DSC04554.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Weyfarer on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After rather aimlessly spinning a phantom across a few places in the muddy current, I returned to tiffin and another bottle of the excellent Bordeaux.

Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby Weyfarer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:52 pm

After yesterday's fiasco I was eager to get out again but only had a few hours to spare so popped down to my local Stour. One bite to lightly legered crust gave me a cracking chub of 4lb 12oz.

DSC04558.jpg

Chub 4 - 12.jpg

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:27 am

A cracking chub from your local, Weyfarer, well done. Shame about the middle Avon - I expect it will be just perfect... ...on March 15th :cool:

Return to “Fishing Lines”