Admin Machinations

This is the place for administrations, announcements, problems, fixes,hitches, glitches, stitches and unhitches. The Forum Suggestions box thread is open. Feel free to add some ideas for additions and changes, but don't use it for chat please.
Weyfarer
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Re: Admin Machinations

Postby Weyfarer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:48 pm

It works even out in the sticks.

Cheers
After rather aimlessly spinning a phantom across a few places in the muddy current, I returned to tiffin and another bottle of the excellent Bordeaux.
Halcyon, George Brennand 1947

Mr Mole
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Congratulations, it even seems to have made it across Offas dyke into Wales :cool: .

I have not the foggiest understanding of what you have done, but I'm still here :thumbs-up:

DaceAce
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby DaceAce » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:13 pm

Made the leap!

champ
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby champ » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:52 pm

Ok here.Well done JAA :text-hat-tip: .
Ring a ring a roses a pocketful of posies atishoo,atishoo we all fall down.

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 pm

I'm delighted (as much as you) that it all went well. It seems to be working fine here in darkest Wiltshire.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:08 pm

'oops'...

I forgot to change the cookie setting to the new location...so a few of you will probably have to re-log in, as your log-in will expire...

Fixed now... :cheesy grin:

GarryProcter wrote:It seems to be working fine here in darkest Wiltshire.

As far as I know this is the only sort of 'Wiltshire' there is...
Webmaster and Renaissance Polymath.
Dragons Slain, Sheep Worried, Reactor Leaks Contained,
DIY avoided, Six's clobbered, Talisker sipped, Despots overthrown.
Occasional Angler. Veritas vincit!

GarryProcter
Very Old Warhorse
Very Old Warhorse

Postby GarryProcter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:11 am

JAA wrote:'oops'...

I forgot to change the cookie setting to the new location...so a few of you will probably have to re-log in, as your log-in will expire...

Fixed now... :cheesy grin:

GarryProcter wrote:It seems to be working fine here in darkest Wiltshire.

As far as I know this is the only sort of 'Wiltshire' there is...

Thanks JAA - I was just about to post asking about having to re-log in.

Allegedly there's deepest, darkest Wiltshire, but no one knows what's there, as those who ventured there have never returned. The fishing there must be very good :cool:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:38 pm

So while I'm at it. If you need a password resetting, you'll need to tell me your username in any email, as I don't know all of ye in person and the only way for me to match an email address to a user is to inspect every member's detail one at a time...which I'm not going to do...I will check the requesting email is the one stored in the member's account. If it's not then I'll ask for more verification, otherwise there's scope for mischief.

I don't know anyone's passwords. They're stored encrypted, I can't read them, I can only set a new one.

I don't spend hours making up tricky passwords, so you are advised to change the (new) one I provide to something more secret, using the 'User Control Panel', asap.

I can't access a member's account, except by re-setting the password and logging in as 'them' and you'll be able to tell if I did that. However if I have credible intelligence that the PM system is being used for something nefarious, I'll close off the account and cheerfully pass the PMs contents to the relevant authorities...this has happened once, I kid you not.
:text-hat-tip: :I am the Law:

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:35 pm

All members who haven't posted since December 31st 2018 have had their accounts suspended. Ta.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:06 pm

The 'www.thepathbythewater.net' domain will vanish in July. At that time the url divert will cease to exist and you'll need to have bookmarked the current location of the forum. Ta.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:25 pm

I've just spent six hours of my life I'm not getting back up-grading to Windows 8.1 a 'seamless' upgrade, which variously, wouldn't work from the CD, did eventually work from a USB drive, 'lost' my email files, then the profiles, then broke the reinstallation...then evntually allow me to re-copy the profiles for email, but still not my broswer files...

...and so on. It's lucy I back up all the files from scatch before I started.

However, this complete waste of my alloted span had caused me to review my strategy via-a-viz computers. I'm no longer goning to do anything at all on a computer that can be done with a pen or doesn't need to be done at all. I simply can't be bothered with the hassle.

Several email accounts are immediatly casualties of my revised policy, including this one. I've probably spent more time maintaining the email for this account that you've all spent posting in the last two months, which is nonsensical on any level.

This means I won't be accessing or servicing emails associated with the forum for the duration. They're 'off'.

This means; no new members will be able to join (like that's a serious problem) and the only way you'll be able to contact me is via PM. :I am the Law: :text-hat-tip:

watermole+
Very nearly a member now ;-)

Postby watermole+ » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:24 pm

I often feel that ultra-modern, technical things are just too complicated for their own good.
I'm not the least bit surprised to read of such machinations..

Personally, I cannot be bothered to get so deeply involved. Try and keep up with progress, I will; but when it gets to the point where you are sat staring at a screen and try and find your way through a maze of mental exasperation, I just walk away from it..

I look at the world now, everyone staring transfixed at little screens in their hands, thumbs flipping cyber pages up and down, regardless and oblivious to a great extent of the real world about them and I wonder...I really do. It is almost "The Matrix" film come true. Most young people today know so little about actual life, only what they see and read on their screens..

My younger family are always saying that I should get a more modern 'phone-to which I reply:- "why?" I have a 15 year old, grey and cream slab of a Nokia which has a tiny little screen, big buttons which light up green and makes comforting little electronic beeps in different tones when you press them.

I can call or text anyone in the world-and they can call or text me with it. That's all I want a mobile telephone to do.

Life's too short..
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 pm

watermole+ wrote:I often feel that ultra-modern, technical things are just too complicated for their own good.
I'm not the least bit surprised to read of such machinations..

Personally, I cannot be bothered to get so deeply involved. Try and keep up with progress, I will; but when it gets to the point where you are sat staring at a screen and try and find your way through a maze of mental exasperation, I just walk away from it..

I look at the world now, everyone staring transfixed at little screens in their hands, thumbs flipping cyber pages up and down, regardless and oblivious to a great extent of the real world about them and I wonder...I really do. It is almost "The Matrix" film come true. Most young people today know so little about actual life, only what they see and read on their screens..

My younger family are always saying that I should get a more modern 'phone-to which I reply:- "why?" I have a 15 year old, grey and cream slab of a Nokia which has a tiny little screen, big buttons which light up green and makes comforting little electronic beeps in different tones when you press them.

I can call or text anyone in the world-and they can call or text me with it. That's all I want a mobile telephone to do.

Life's too short..

You are so right in many respects. However, I'd offer the alterative view, which is I/we hear from our three adult children every day at least once, using one of several message systems via a family message group. It is mostly banal chit chat and family in-jokes, but it is really nice to be 'just in touch'. The children also have their own message group with no parents and they always look slightly sheepish if it comes up in conversation, but we actually are pleased they communicate with each other. :text-hat-tip:

watermole+

Postby watermole+ » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm

Now don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against progress per se and think that the "space age"-as my generation once called it-way of being able to communicate and stay in touch via actual video link is absolutely wonderful! However, when it comes to the stage where it is the entire focus of your waking life-and even whilst in bed-and you become scared to try and live without it, then something is wrong..really wrong.
I bought a mobile 'phone many years ago because I thought-and still do-it is a brilliant way of alerting someone, should an accident befall when fishing alone, especially at night, which is what I liked to do then. I have the 'Pay as you go' system and use mine about half a dozen times per month for general use. You can also send an emergency message quickly if need be, but try as I might, I cannot see the need to have all your personal information and all the myriads of knowledge in the world at your fingertips? Whatever people today are doing, they seem to all need their devices as constant companions, to be consulted every minute of the day...It's rather like an electronic 'filofax'.

It has now become instilled into these generations to be servants-slaves even-to their machines..(remember the prophetic Pink Floyd song in 'Wish you were here'?) They know less and less about what is real in life.
A while ago, I visited some of the grandchildren..They were playing on their computers as usual, a game of 'Minecraft' and barely noticed my presence, so intent they were. I looked at this 'game'. It is a strange, complex world of distorted unreality that has nothing to do with life. Most of the other games are usually focussed around dominance over other creatures or worlds with plenty of extreme violence, death and destruction thrown in for good measure..
They barely noticed when I left, still playing their games through handsets and I felt so sorry for them for I had become almost a stranger.

Most urban people you talk to could not give you the names of six trees that grow in the remains of our countryside, or six plants from the hedgerow, let alone six wild British birds, butterflies or animals still found in the wild or fish from the sea.
At one time, neighbours talked and communicated openly across garden walls and shared many aspects of their lives for the common good. Today, they put up high panelled fences to block out the sun and isolate themselves "for privacy", never speaking to neighbours and live in their own electronic worlds of make-believe.

It is the younger who I feel sorry for. They have never known any other existence..and I fear for their future.
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

gloucesteroldspot
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby gloucesteroldspot » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:39 pm

I find myself increasingly at odds with the technology involved in what might laughably be called my profession (not that architecture isn't a profession, it's just that I have never felt much like a professional in anything). The probability that all new homes in five years' time will have to have sprinkler systems fills me with exasperation, and the mere mention of Building Management Systems causes an almost audible 'ping' as another synapse disconnects and slumps uselessly into the corner of my mind.

In real life (outside of work) I have managed to evade the worst of it, to the extent that I now do not have broadband at home, though I do have a smart phone for looking stuff up that might be useful to know, but isn't covered in any of my books. I can live with that. If I need to research anything in more detail, I can always take my old laptop to the local pub and hook up to their internet for the price of a beer or three - again, something I can suffer in reasonable humour. At some point both machines will become obsolete or stop working, whereupon a review of the situation will become necessary and a decision made; obtain updated hardware with all the associated pain that inevitably involves, or further isolate myself from the 21st century and go completely off-line. I know which I prefer the sound of, but for economic reasons and in the interests of staying in touch with the critical mass, I may have to bite the bullet. Only last week I ventured into a well-known emporium for the purposes of securing a replacement TV box thing, and it nearly ended in a fight...

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:45 pm

gloucesteroldspot wrote: Only last week I ventured into a well-known emporium for the purposes of securing a replacement TV box thing, and it nearly ended in a fight...

Yeah, those guys don't know much.

<SUBJECT_CHANGE>Do you still have that Winfield Specimen Fisher GOS? If you have I'll buy it back...</SUBJECT_CHANGE>

gloucesteroldspot
Old Warhorse
Old Warhorse

Postby gloucesteroldspot » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:47 pm

JAA wrote:
gloucesteroldspot wrote: Only last week I ventured into a well-known emporium for the purposes of securing a replacement TV box thing, and it nearly ended in a fight...

Yeah, those guys don't know much.

<SUBJECT_CHANGE>Do you still have that Winfield Specimen Fisher GOS? If you have I'll buy it back...</SUBJECT_CHANGE>

Of course. It's been sitting here in the same state it came to me, awaiting an opportunity to get it to you. I had assumed I'd see you at Romsey sometime, but you weren't at the last few. No payment required - just let me know how I might transfer it to you.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Just thought I'd mention that I'm not accepting new members at the moment. This is for purely technical reasons, that is, as it looks likely that the forum will be re-instated with an up to date version of php, most likely loosing the existing content.

If, as the 'poll' current indicates, the largest vote is for that, then I'd ask anyone trying to register to wait until the site is 'renewed' in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to look into keeping the existing content going, but 'locked' as a reference, but I'm not yet sure whether this is practical and if it is, there's no telling how long it will work for...

Haydn
Really really old war-horse
Really really old war-horse

Postby Haydn » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:06 pm

That’s good to hear. By coincidence, I had a text from my good mate Paul Cook yesterday. Like myself and a few others on here Cooky has barely fished much these past few years but he’s still busy making tackle and he also has a few esoteric other interests like bottle digging and metal detecting. Anyhow, I’d mentioned to Paul that he should re-register on here as I’m sure there are a few others who’d be as interested as I am to hear what he’d been up to or found on his searches. He said for some reason he couldn’t re-join so hopefully he’ll get back on here when the new software is up and running.

JAA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JAA » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Haydn wrote:That’s good to hear. By coincidence, I had a text from my good mate Paul Cook yesterday. Like myself and a few others on here Cooky has barely fished much these past few years but he’s still busy making tackle and he also has a few esoteric other interests like bottle digging and metal detecting. Anyhow, I’d mentioned to Paul that he should re-register on here as I’m sure there are a few others who’d be as interested as I am to hear what he’d been up to or found on his searches. He said for some reason he couldn’t re-join so hopefully he’ll get back on here when the new software is up and running.

Hmmm...don't know why that would be, he'd be most welcome, bottle and metals detected et al. Do please give him the nod when we re-birth and I'll wave him on through. :text-hat-tip:

Return to “Admin stuff”